JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is nothing?

2 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Brother per, the answer to the 64'000 dollar question is: there's no way of really knowing or understanding. It's a matter of faith.

As far as saying Jehovah is the Holy Spirit that sounds somewhat like the trinity description minus Jesus. I don't think that's what you meant.

We know the HS is Gods  active force....energy that is impersonal....he sends it out to accomplish his will. It Comes from him but remember this key point....HS is an impersonal force. Jehovah is a person the person that controls that force.

Jehovah gives his HS to his servants. They are said to be filled with HS. Are they filled with Jehovah himself? Did Jehovah come down in the form of a dove at Jesus Baptism. 

I Kind of view it as a  very special kind of Versatel  tool Jehovah can use to accomplish his will. We know HS was used in creation so perhaps Jesus was allowed to use this HS as well (that is speculation on my part).

Its interesting that nothing existed apart from Jehovah before creation. So  where did Jehovah get the materials for the universe....including us?

From himself. He is an abundance of dynamic energy. Because we are technically from Jehovah in that sense, can we say we are Jehovah. When a baby is conceived in the womb and born as a son or daughter, is the child the same as he mother or the father? No. So while it's true HS comes from Jehovah there is a definite distinction.

Brother, your point of view made me search for an answer in the litterature:  

http://wol.jw.org/da/wol/dsync/r9/lp-d/r1/lp-e/1200004211#h=24-24

Distinguished from “power.” Ruʹach and pneuʹma, therefore, when used with reference to God’s holy spirit, refer to God’s invisible active force by which he accomplishes his divine purpose and will. It is “holy” because it is from Him, not of an earthly source, and is free from all corruption as “the spirit of holiness.” (Ro 1:4) It is not Jehovah’s “power,” for this English word more correctly translates other terms in the original languages (Heb., koʹach; Gr., dyʹna·mis). Ruʹach and pneuʹma are used in close association or even in parallel with these terms signifying “power,” which shows that there is an inherent connection between them and yet a definite distinction. (Mic 3:8; Zec 4:6;Lu 1:17, 35; Ac 10:38) “Power” is basically the ability or capacity to act or do things and it can be latent, dormant, or inactively resident in someone or something. “Force,” on the other hand, more specifically describes energy projected and exerted on persons or things, and may be defined as “an influence that produces or tends to produce motion, or change of motion.” “Power” might be likened to the energy stored in a battery, while “force” could be compared to the electric current flowing from such battery. “Force,” then, more accurately represents the sense of the Hebrew and Greek terms as relating to God’s spirit, and this is borne out by a consideration of the Scriptures.

So, the HS is not Jehovah, but his invisible active force, just as we have an invisible active force. You are right. 

9 hours ago, Thike Salvmu said:

What do you think about time? Is it just a phenomenon that is bound to the physical? This would seem to make sense to me with Jehovah having no beginning or end but then when you consider that from Christ onward all spirit beings had a beginning. How can you have a beginning if that beginning is not a point in time? Maybe there is time in the spirit realm but it is a very different thing to physical time. Time in the physical universe seems to be nothing more than matter moving through space. Interesting.

Kieth, there was an interesting discussion on this a while back. I'm not good at finding some off the past subjects. 

I think the consensus was that Jehovah lives outside of time and  time had a beginning. It began when Jesus (first born of creation) was created.

Within time all things have a beginning. Since Jehovah had no beginning and no end he is not bound by time. Also time is not absolute. Evidently it can be manipulated. We could go on and on. Very interesting topic.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

5 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Death is nothing.

Death is a condition. But even a dead body does not completely turn to nothing. I think the references here to "nothing " are more toward physical and spiritual "things".  So it's about no-things.

Edited by Pjdriver

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

2 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Death is a condition. But even a dead body does not completely turn to nothing. I think the references here to "nothing " are more toward physical and spiritual "things".  So it's about no-things.

Ok then let's rephrase it .  Non existence is nothing 

For example where have you been 8000 years ago ?  You and me were nothing. 

The Bible says that death will be brought to ...... Nothing . 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Yes, that is what we are trying to figure out. Where is death brought to?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Greg, death is a condition. If we're talking about conditions, then yes there are numerous conditions that will no longer exist in the future and did not exist in the past. But also keep in mind that is specifically Adamic death. 

5 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Are you trying to say I may have been here 7999 years ago? :wheelchair: