JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shepherd's Pie Recipes

Hi Chefs!  I am making Shepherd's Pie for the first time.  I need some advice on how to make it wonderful.

Melt one cube of butter, put in one chopped sweet onion and 4 cloves of garlic.  Cook until onions are translucent.

In the same pan, brown 3 lbs of ground chuck beef until brown.  (I am using chili grind chuck beef instead of ground chuck beef)

add salt, pepper, chili powder to taste.

28 oz of diced tomatoes (drained)

2 cut of beef broth

2 Tbl of flour (to thicken)

2 cups of cheddar cheese

3 cups of fresh peas, corn, carrots (any other veggie you might recommend)

Mix Well

Shred 3-4 large potatoes

Mix with melted cube of butter, oil, salt and pepper

Cover the pan  evenly with the potato mixture.

then cover the top with parmesan cheese

preheat oven to 425 and cook for 20 minutes.

I am not sure how the gravy part of the mixture is going to come out.  I am using shredded potatoes instead to make it different.  Do you have any special Shepherd's Pie recipes that you would like to share.    Welcome all advice.  

Thanks, Linna

Edited by Sunflower

This sounds yummyyy. Here in New Zealand a Shepherd's Pie is only made from lamb/mutton/hogget - hence the 'shepherd' part.  My mum used to use the left over mutton roast and used to cut that up - add tomato sauce (Ketchup) grated carrots and onions then topped with mashed potato sprinkled with cheese. 

She used to make what we called Cottage Pie from beef and that had more of  a gravy with a potato topping.

A Shin Beef pie - was used with Shin Beef or any beef can used with carrots, onion, bacon and a pastry topping. 

But yours sounds yummy too - let us know how it turns out.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

6 hours ago, Stormswift said:

This sounds yummyyy. Here in New Zealand a Shepherd's Pie is only made from lamb/mutton/hogget - hence the 'shepherd' part.  My mum used to use the left over mutton roast and used to cut that up - add tomato sauce (Ketchup) grated carrots and onions then topped with mashed potato sprinkled with cheese. 

She used to make what we called Cottage Pie from beef and that had more of  a gravy with a potato topping.

A Shin Beef pie - was used with Shin Beef or any beef can used with carrots, onion, bacon and a pastry topping. 

But yours sounds yummy too - let us know how it turns out.

Those sounds yummy too.  Didn't think of bacon.  What could go wrong with adding bacon to the mix.  I probably would prefer left over roast to the ground beef that is sometimes used out here.   I don't care for the quality of stew meat and I haven't don't a roast in 30 year or so.  There is only 2 of us.  That is why I am trying the chili grind instead.  I am also a mashed potatoes fan but thought that shredded potatoes sounded different.  What sort of gravy did she make for the Cottage Pie?

LOL  Anything out here in northern California that had mashed potatoes on top would be considered Shepherd's Pie.  I hadn't heard of a Cottage Pie or Shin Beef Pie.  

Thanks for all info!

Linna

5 hours ago, Sunflower said:

Those sounds yummy too.  Didn't think of bacon.  What could go wrong with adding bacon to the mix.  I probably would prefer left over roast to the ground beef that is sometimes used out here.   I don't care for the quality of stew meat and I haven't don't a roast in 30 year or so.  There is only 2 of us.  That is why I am trying the chili grind instead.  I am also a mashed potatoes fan but thought that shredded potatoes sounded different.  What sort of gravy did she make for the Cottage Pie?

LOL  Anything out here in northern California that had mashed potatoes on top would be considered Shepherd's Pie.  I hadn't heard of a Cottage Pie or Shin Beef Pie.  

Thanks for all info!

Linna

The funny thing is ... i didn't click to the difference between a Cottage Pie and a Shepherd's Pie either, my mother had, but she didn't explain it. It wasn't until Gordon Ramsey got upset with a restauranter calling a beef dish a Shepherd's Pie that I clicked to the difference - well of course ... shepherds herd sheep -makes sense. 

She would always cook the beef and it wasn't minced, on the stove top with onions, salt and Pepper (I would use Garlic she hated garlic) and tomato paste then added cornflour or what you guys would call cornstarch to thicken it. So it was never a separate sauce/gravy it was from cooking the meat.

Same thing with the Shin Beef pie, but she added the bacon and pastry instead of potatoes.

Other mixtures for pies that are very popular in New Zealand are as follows: 

Make a white sauce - which is a basic aaah the name has gone .... anyway just a basic white sauce add salt and pepper - add 1/2 doz boiled eggs sliced - a tin of tuna or salmon - some chopped parsley or chives then top with the mashed potato / cheese.

Using the above method for cooking meat - which is a very slow cook on a medium heat, make your meat mixture - steak is always the best i reckon but you could use mince - then when you put them into pastry you can add the following:

Steak and Cheese - cheese added UNDER the pastry

Mince and Cheese

Steak and Mushroom

Steak and Bacon (like the Shin beef pie)

Steak and oyster - now this unusual combination, if you like oysters this is AMAZING.

Add a can of tomatoes if you like the sauce more tomato-ee

There's a saying here in Kiwiland, the Brits invented the meat pie, but the Kiwi's perfected it. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but we are certainly adventurous when it comes to the humble pie.

Hope that helps my dear sister.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Mom used to put cornbread on top of her meat mix pies. They were pretty good. 

Is that still considered a shepherd pie or is there another name? 

Wish my sister would post up, she's a good cook and has some great recipes. She joined a while back but I  dunno if she's ever posted. .

18 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Can't comment on that Brother Tim as we don't have cornbread here. 

WHAT?!?!?!...:o

That has to be some kind of crime!. Have you ever had some, do you even know what you are missing? ..

PM me your post info and I'll ship you a box of mixes....seriously. :chef:

We eat rotten corn here - it's a delicacy - but Ican't ship that to you ... what about ... hmmmmm ... I could ship you Feijoa sweets!!