JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Problems playing downloads on my computed

I'm having trouble playing videos that I download on my computer. Sometimes they will play fine. Other times, when I play them, I get an error message that says:. Can't play. Try playing something else. This item's file format may be unsupported, the file extension may be incorrect, or the file may be corrupted .

Does anyone know what's wrong and or what I could do? 

I have Windows 10. Is there another video player I could get?

Make sure the file extension didn't get changed in the downloading process. If they are jw videos, it should have ".mp4" at the end of the file name. If it doesn't, rename it so that it does. Might not be the issue, but it's worth checking.

45 minutes ago, Musky said:

Make sure the file extension didn't get changed in the downloading process. If they are jw videos, it should have ".mp4" at the end of the file name. If it doesn't, rename it so that it does. Might not be the issue, but it's worth checking.

It's not the file extension. Right now, the only time it doesn't play is if I drag and drop the video from the desktop to certain micro SD cards or certain flash drives. However, I have other micro SD cards and flash drives that WILL play the videos. If I download videos directly to these micro SD cards or flash drives, they won't play. So, it just might be defective devices.

Edited by mserskine

11 hours ago, mserskine said:

drag and drop the video from the desktop to certain micro SD cards or certain flash drives.

Sometimes it doesn't completely transfer or just the file name transfers. I have had this happen, and have had to recopy, then check to make sure it copied.

It is not a biggie, but can be frustrating when you assumed it transferred and didn't.:?

Bye the way. It is not only a win 10 problem.  Not in the vid files from the society, however in other vid files, they will play on computer but not on TV, thus I have had to re-encode them to work on TV.

I use freeware "Format Factory" to re-encode.  Watch your settings, frame rate and size, etc.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: