JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Downloading Content From JWB or JW.ORG Server?

I've been noticing for a long while now that, whenever I download songs, monthly programs, PDF's WT/Awake mp3's,  it is not sourced from jwb or jw org. Instead, I see the following:

download-a.akamaihd.net

Do any one of you IT experts knows what this is? or means? Is this a virus?  Please help.

If you change the link to download.jw.org it works too.  For example, this is the link to the NWT pdf file provided through the jw.org  website

https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_bible/03/nwt_E.pdf

but this works too.

http://download.jw.org/files/media_bible/03/nwt_E.pdf

although the first one is https, whereas the second one is just http.

Akamai is a company that offers a Content Delivery Network (CDN) solutions. Why the brothers decided to use this? I don't know, but i know why would someone use a CDN. Here are at least two reasons.

1) The site jw.org, as well as every other site on the web, has it's servers physically stored somewhere. For jw.org it would probably be somewhere in the USA, I would say in some of the Watchtower facilities. So for example, If someone from Australia tries to access some content on jw.org, he will have to download that content all the way from USA, which makes the process a lot slower. Here comes a CDN into play. They have servers all over the world. If you use their services, they will host your files and when someone tries to download something, they don't request it all the way from USA, where the physical servers are, but from the nearest server of the CDN.

2) By doing the above mentioned thing, the physical servers aren't under that much load, and the maintenance expenses are much lower.

Edited by Andrejrulz

I was poking around this subject, and i found some pretty amazing facts about the Akamai CDN.

• Akamai has the most pervasive content delivery network (CDN) - more than 216,000 servers in over 120 countries and within more than 1,500 networks around the world.
  • Akamai delivers daily Web traffic reaching more than 30 Terabits per second.

• Akamai delivers nearly 3 trillion Internet interactions each day.

• Eighty-five percent of the world's Internet users are within a single "network hop" of an Akamai CDN server.

• Akamai's content delivery network is responsible for serving between 15 and 30 percent of all web traffic.

I found out that the stream.jw.org website uses another CDN from Akamai and that is edgesuite.net. This is a download link from the stream. http://stream.jw.org.edgesuite.net/.....

I wonder now how much they charge for their services ^^

Edited by Andrejrulz

That's some top facts. Thank you

The point about how much they charge is something to keep in mind when we make our donations.  Just as the printed books are free, it still costs money to produce them, so likewise the downloads are free, it costs money to provide the download.

2 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

That's some top facts. Thank you

The point about how much they charge is something to keep in mind when we make our donations.  Just as the printed books are free, it still costs money to produce them, so likewise the downloads are free, it costs money to provide the download.

I figure if I can spend $80 to $100 on cable television I can certainly donate at least that amount.  If I can't do both I can always cancel my cable TV.

Of course, I built a diy antenna that will pick up about 80 channels locally.  Back in the 60's we used an antenna and got 3 channels.  Back then, that was enough.