JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

It's All in the SD Card!

Here it goes - I have been having problem's downloading and viewing video's and music through my JW Library app for a couple of months now.  I was thinking that the problem was the app.  Whenever I would download something to my SD card, it could play right after I downloaded but if I closed the app and restarted it and tried to play a video or music, it would tell me that "video cannot play", or "content cannot be found".  It's been very frustrating.  Then along came Marshmallow.  I was hoping perhaps the upgrade to the new operating system would somehow magically fix this problem with JWL app - but it seemed to of gotten much worse.

I decided to wipe the SD card, uninstall JWL and reinstall it.  Then I redownloaded all the publications, video's and music.  At first it seemed to work - the music 'took' and I can play most of the music with no problems.  But any video longer than a couple of minutes gave me the same problem as before.

I remembered I had bought my SD card from an Ebay seller so I went back to their feedback page to see if anyone else who bought this particular "genuine and authentic" Samsung EVO 128GB card was having any problems.  Sure enough - there were at least 6 after me and all of them said that the card wasn't working properly and they found out it was counterfeit.  So at least now I know what my problem has been all along and when my new GENUINE SD card comes tomorrow, I will be spending the next two days downloading everything again and hopefully with much better results.

It's a small piece of wonderful techology, but if it's cheap, a counterfeit or not really made for the type of device you are using it for, you can run into problems.  I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having problems of a similar nature.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

2 hours ago, shali said:

Here it goes - I have been having problem's downloading and viewing video's and music through my JW Library app for a couple of months now.  I was thinking that the problem was the app.  Whenever I would download something to my SD card, it could play right after I downloaded but if I closed the app and restarted it and tried to play a video or music, it would tell me that "video cannot play", or "content cannot be found".  It's been very frustrating.  Then along came Marshmallow.  I was hoping perhaps the upgrade to the new operating system would somehow magically fix this problem with JWL app - but it seemed to of gotten much worse.

I decided to wipe the SD card, uninstall JWL and reinstall it.  Then I redownloaded all the publications, video's and music.  At first it seemed to work - the music 'took' and I can play most of the music with no problems.  But any video longer than a couple of minutes gave me the same problem as before.

I remembered I had bought my SD card from an Ebay seller so I went back to their feedback page to see if anyone else who bought this particular "genuine and authentic" Samsung EVO 128GB card was having any problems.  Sure enough - there were at least 6 after me and all of them said that the card wasn't working properly and they found out it was counterfeit.  So at least now I know what my problem has been all along and when my new GENUINE SD card comes tomorrow, I will be spending the next two days downloading everything again and hopefully with much better results.

It's a small piece of wonderful techology, but if it's cheap, a counterfeit or not really made for the type of device you are using it for, you can run into problems.  I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having problems of a similar nature.

There is a sister in our congregation who obtained a tablet that I gave her since I had an extra that I wasn't using. Since it only had 8gb of space, her husband went to Best Buy to get a micro SD card to download the media files to. When they put the card in the tablet, the tablat wouldn't recognize the card. Come to find out they bought the wrong SD card. Evidently there at least 2 kinds of micro SD cards. The one they bought was made for cameras an such. The one they finally bought was less expensive and worked perfectly. 

Make sure you have the micro SD card that works with your tablet.

19 hours ago, mserskine said:

Make sure you have the micro SD card that works with your tablet.

19 hours ago, mserskine said:

It's a small piece of wonderful techology, but if it's cheap, a counterfeit or not really made for the type of device you are using it for, you can run into problems.

That is why I put that quote above in my experience.  I noticed when shopping for a new SD card that some said they were for tablets and smartphones and others said camera's or some other device.  You have to make sure if you are buying online that you are getting a "micro" SD too.

I'll just be glad when my new SD card is in, everything is downloaded again and I won't have to go through this anymore!  I can't tell you how many days I've wasted downloading and redownloading all my music and video files!

18 minutes ago, shali said:

That is why I put that quote above in my experience.  I noticed when shopping for a new SD card that some said they were for tablets and smartphones and others said camera's or some other device.  You have to make sure if you are buying online that you are getting a "micro" SD too.

I'll just be glad when my new SD card is in, everything is downloaded again and I won't have to go through this anymore!  I can't tell you how many days I've wasted downloading and redownloading all my music and video files!

I forgot to mention that that's why he doesn't buy on Ebay.  He was able to return the micro SD card that didn't work to Best Buy the next day and get the correct one. Returns on Ebay take weeks.

Edited by mserskine

Since my card was counterfeit, it worked for a little while and then started to cause problems.  By the time I figured it out, the possibility of even getting my money back was out of the question.  Another lesson learned the hard way.