JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Calling all Android Guru's

I have the Samsung Galaxy S4. It was given to me by my daughter when she got her new Edge 7.

Don't know if you really call it "multi-tasking" but, there are many times when I am using the computer with the phone next to me because I am also having a "text conversation" with someone. While doing this, I do not always "see" the new text come in - after all, I am looking at the computer screen. What I discovered was this: When I have an "active" conversation going on - by that, I mean one where I am sending and receiving text messages with the same person so I have not exited the texting app - and I noticed that, when a new text comes in the phone does NOT alert me with an audible tone. When I asked my daughter about this she said, "Yeah, that was one of the things I never liked about that phone. It never has made a sound when the app is open"

I mentioned this to my nephew (he is quite a "computer guy") and he suggested loading a different messaging app - so, that is what I did. The app that came on the phone is "Messaging 1.0.0".

I d/l "Messenger 1.8.268" from Google. Says it works on Android 4.1 and above. (I have 5.0.1 "Lollipop") I selected a tone for the alert (I used "Voxer Default") It seemed to work good AND, when I had an open conversation it gave me an alert tone when a new message arrived. All seemed good. However, I noticed that I received a text and the phone did not alert me. I checked to see why. The tone selected for the alert was a number, not "Voxer Default". I changed it back. It worked the next time I got a message ..... but, the next message had no alert. I checked again and the tone was set to a number. I decided to try a different tone. It worked - the first time, then, you guessed ti, it was changed to a number and had no audible tone.

I decided to try another messaging app. This time I d/l "Verizon Messages 6.3.3" It has a nice look and seems to work well. It will also make an alert tone while the app is open to an active conversation. I selected the "Voxer Default" tone for this app. It had been working great until a couple day ago. I noticed that it "Dinged", a tone called "Temple Bell" - I get this tone when a couple other apps post an update to my phone - like one that alerts me to sales from Walmart or Circle K - I checked and, sure enough, the alert tone on the messaging app was set to "Temple Bell". I changed it back. It worked correct with the next text. Later, it dinged again to let me know I had a text - yep, Temple Bell again.

So, my question is two-fold:

Why does the phone keep changing my messaging tone and how do I fix it?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Do you have an app that controls the volume of your phone? Like "volume control" (the one I use)? There are several others and the are good for locking the volume so you don't accidentally un-mute the phone at meeting, etc. But, they can also override the default sounds in other apps.

I didn't know they could do that and it was driving me crazy because my ringtones kept changing. So since you got the phone from your daughter, check and see if there is any kind of volume control app installed.