JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Help with Windows 10 on my home PC.

Hi Moderators,

I really didn't know where else to put this, being anxious and nervous. 

I got internet today through a special. I haven't had it on my PC for up to a year or more. I don't think I downloaded the new Windows 10, and now it say I have to buy it. The updated JW Library app say I need the new Windows. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

I don't know much about the PC, brought it in 2014.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you are able to provide.

Charlotte

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

9 minutes ago, carlos said:

Charlotte, I can't help you with the Windows 10 question, but I can help you with the logging off.

Did you forget your password?

No, when I am reading a long topic or I let my phone sit while I go do something and return, I will be logged off involuntarily.

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

18 hours ago, loving life said:

I don't think I downloaded the new Windows 10, and now it say I have to buy it. The updated JW Library app say I need the new Windows. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

Windows 10 was free upgrade from July 2015 through July 2016. The free upgrade has expired, and now you must pay for Windows 10.

Yes, the current JW Library app for Windows requires that you are running Windows 10. The Branch dropped support for Windows 8.1 about 2 months ago.

May I move this topic out to General Discussion so that other members may benefit from it and perhaps join the conversation?

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Since I've missed the free update will it be better to buy the update or buy a new computer whenever I am able to?

30 minutes ago, loving life said:

Yes,

Thank you. With your permission, I have moved the topic out to General Discussion.

8 minutes ago, loving life said:

Since I've missed the free update will it be better to buy the update or buy a new computer whenever I am able to?

Hard to say without knowing much about your computer. Microsoft said that Windows 10 Home will have an estimated retail price of $119. The Pro version will be around $199. A decent new computer would likely cost much more than that.

Some things I would consider are....

1. Age of my computer
  2. Processor
  3. RAM
  4. Hard Drive Space (and HD Type)

... and of course, does it run well now, or does it frustrate you, lol.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

13 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Thank you. With your permission, I have moved the topic out to General Discussion.

Hard to say without knowing much about your computer. Microsoft said that Windows 10 Home will have an estimated retail price of $119. The Pro version will be around $199. A decent new computer would likely cost much more than that.

Some things I would consider are....

1. Age of my computer
  2. Processor
  3. RAM
  4. Hard Drive Space (and HD Type)

... and of course, does it run well now, or does it frustrate you, lol.

I brought it brand new  in 2014, it's a Dell. I have a very very small knowledge of computers. It"s  a windows 8.1. I'll look for more info about it.

Edited by loving life

Great news, With Jehovah's help and you All I've gotten Windows 10........yay hoo!!!!!!

I must have reserved my windows 10 download, because I keep playing around with it and came across a button for help in downloading it and it took so long I thought I'd never get it, Yeah I am updated....now what do I do?

For some reason still can't get the update the JW Library. So I uninstalled it and will installed it again.

23 minutes ago, loving life said:

Great news, With Jehovah's help and you All I've gotten Windows 10........yay hoo!!!!!!

I must have reserved my windows 10 download, because I keep playing around with it and came across a button for help in downloading it and it took so long I thought I'd never get it, Yeah I am updated....now what do I do?

For some reason still can't get the update the JW Library. So I uninstalled it and will installed it again.

Congratulations! It might be a few days until Windows 10 updates itself to the latest build. Go into "Settings" and then "system" and then "About" and see what version number your Windows 10 is. The latest one is 1607

3 hours ago, Musky said:

Congratulations! It might be a few days until Windows 10 updates itself to the latest build. Go into "Settings" and then "system" and then "About" and see what version number your Windows 10 is. The latest one is 1607

Okay dear Bro. I will, thanks so much for y'all help! 

I just don't know what to do with myself! So happy I'm up to date with society I am  so elated and proud of myself. Before I was able to it made me so sad, now I'm happy about this. :thumbsup: