JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fried Ice Cream Balls

Fried Ice Cream Balls, are probably the most decadent and tasty dessert I've ever had, I have to say I've only had them probably 1/2 dozen times in my life, and every ocassion except one - they have been a dessert that just stays with you and not just on your hips.

This of course is a scoop of double frozen, sometimes triple frozen, vanilla ice cream - the best in my opinion, dipped in a light batter and fried just to the point of cooking the batter and the ice cream is just starting to melt ... then either chocolate, caramel or strawberry sauce poured over it just before eating. The ONE ocassion I didn't enjoy them, is when they just used once frozen ice cream and it was just a soggy mess.

Now, ive been lying awake because my inventive juices have been flowing .. with a yet more decadent variation on the above. So to get it from my head to the 'paper' so im not dwelling on it all the time, i thought id share my thoughts with you guys, see if you can improve on them even more.

My idea is simple in conception, but probably not so simple in execution.

Parts are inspired by Masterchef (the chocolate spheres).

Instead  of using a batter, use a light donut mixture. 

In the centre will be a small scoop of ice cream (melon scoop size) inside a chocolate sphere. Which are techically tricky but easy to do if you have the molds.

So these wee spheres would be triple frozen, to the extent you can get them, so the frying process would only just start them melting.

So you have your ball of dough and make a hole in the centre to insert your sphere of chocolate and ice cream. And around the sphere with a cooking syringe you inject or insert a mixture of fillings to make your Double D (Decadent Donuts) unique. Closing up the opening before frying and topping with icing sugar (powdered sugar).

Some of the fillings that could be injection around the sphere are as follows:

Walnuts with a caramel sauce.

Salted caramel

Coffee and walnut

Lemon, orange and lime layered sorbet cream

Raspberry couli with fresh raspberries

Mangoes with a mango and lime cream

Rum and raisin

Coconut and lime cream

Strawberries and marshmallows

Peppermint cream

R18: Irish cream, Sambucca and cream, and other similar flavours

Apple and cinnamon, would be like opening up a hot apple pie with creamy cool ice cream.

Blueberries and lemon

Lavendar and lemon

The combinations are endless.

Would you eat one of these?

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Hi Mandi!  You certainly are creative!  I have done some assisting work for developing recipes --not paid work but working with some exciting chefs and learning from them.   

Have you ever made fried ice cream?  Without venturing to try your idea and speaking off cuff I would say it does not sound like it would work.  The traditional recipes I have seen that implement a vehicle for containing the ice cream is one that is already cooked (corn flakes cereal and cinnamon which require only flash frying or a wrap of a flour tortilla which again requires a flash fry method.  I think a batter (again, could be wrong) would require to much fry time that would not give a good outcome to the ice cream.  If you have ever made home made donuts or anything with a wet batter, it requires more frying time than you initially think or the batter is still raw and gummy inside.  

There was a stuffed meatball recipe that took the Internet by storm and the finished photo was amazing.  I had several friends who tried this and asked me what they did wrong because the cheese had disappeared when they cut into them.  What the recipe failed to include was you needed to freeze the cheese prior to stuffing the meatball.  Plus,  the meatball needed a thin amount of meat around the cheese because to big of a meatball would not allow for the hamburger to cook through.  Plus the portion of cheese to meat need to be more (plus frozen) and the meatball needed to be flash fried to seal the meat around the cheese.

just my reasoning based on having made the fried ice cream when my kids were small.

i would love to know how it turns out and maybe you could share your tips with me!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

That is why the ice cream has to be double / triple frozen to the point where the batter is cooked but the ice cream is still frozen. Yes I have done it once, but it was fiddly and it worked out well. I had to fry at 180 degrees (NZ settings here) in order to cook the batter but not the centre.  If you use donut mixture, you don't have to worry about the centre being cooked, as the sphere would be in the centre. So it would only need cooking around the edge, as you said the centre is often gummy or doughy, this would actually work for us not against us.

I am wondering though if melon scoop size would be too small, might need a bigger sphere, because then the frozen temperature will hold longer. The idea is to get the chocolate sphere melting though so when you bite into it, you get an internal chocolate sauce with the fillings, but the ice cream still frozen.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

14 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

Hi Mandi!  You certainly are creative!  I have done some assisting work for developing recipes --not paid work but working with some exciting chefs and learning from them.   

Have you ever made fried ice cream?  Without venturing to try your idea and speaking off cuff I would say it does not sound like it would work.  The traditional recipes I have seen that implement a vehicle for containing the ice cream is one that is already cooked (corn flakes cereal and cinnamon which require only flash frying or a wrap of a flour tortilla which again requires a flash fry method.  I think a batter (again, could be wrong) would require to much fry time that would not give a good outcome to the ice cream.  If you have ever made home made donuts or anything with a wet batter, it requires more frying time than you initially think or the batter is still raw and gummy inside.  

There was a stuffed meatball recipe that took the Internet by storm and the finished photo was amazing.  I had several friends who tried this and asked me what they did wrong because the cheese had disappeared when they cut into them.  What the recipe failed to include was you needed to freeze the cheese prior to stuffing the meatball.  Plus,  the meatball needed a thin amount of meat around the cheese because to big of a meatball would not allow for the hamburger to cook through.  Plus the portion of cheese to meat need to be more (plus frozen) and the meatball needed to be flash fried to seal the meat around the cheese.

just my reasoning based on having made the fried ice cream when my kids were small.

i would love to know how it turns out and maybe you could share your tips with me!

Re: The meatballs it's the same issue as with Scotch eggs, it's almost impossible to get a scotch egg cooked through to the centre while keeping the egg inside runny. You either end up with raw meat and raw egg, or you end up with a hard boiled egg and cooked meat. Very few can do a good Scotch egg.

Cheese, not sure if you can double freeze cheese, depending on the cheese i guess, if you start with a hard cheese you might be more successful.

But yes the secret to both the meatballs, scotch eggs and the donut idea of mine is the thiness of the outside edge, not too thin it goes crispy, but thick enough to preserve the temperature in the centre and cook the dough.

Have to say too that not all donut doughs are equal. Some are heavier than others, so you'd have to perfect the right type of dough, which of course would become your trade secret, along with the unique internal sauces, otherwise everyone would be able to do it.

Thinking on the wrapping you used, they don't make sense to me, a tortilla is often used in recipes like Beef Wellingtons, to keep the outside crispy, because they dissolve into nothing, so they aren't sturdy at all.

Using cornflakes and cereals are pourous,  so would not allow the sealing needed to keep the centre from contact with the oil. Batter is used very successfully in fish, because fish is another product that should have as little cooking time as possble to keep it fresh. So batter is the most successful outing, and going on the bread cases used to cook chickens, the donut idea would servie as a sealant, but with less cooking time to preserve the frozen centre. Like the process of an igloo in reverse.

Edited by Stormswift

2 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Using cornflakes and cereals are pourous,  so would not allow the sealing needed to keep the centre from contact with the oil. Batter is used very successfully in fish, because fish is another product that should have as little cooking time as possble to keep it fresh. So batter is the most successful outing, and going on the bread cases used to cook chickens, the donut idea would servie as a sealant, but with less cooking time to preserve the frozen centre. Like the process of an igloo in reverse.

Actually, the traditional fried ice cream is noted for the corn flakes crust!   I don't ever recall seeing a recipe without it.  The ice cream is rolled in sugar/cinammon then corn flakes that have been sightly crushed--not grounded but broken down a bit. Then they are put in to the freezer for a couple of hours and flash fried about 10 seconds to seal the corn flake crust.

i had a friend in LA who was the executive chef for the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd.  I was able to go and watch 'behind the scenes' so to speak.  They did a fried ice cream rolled in cinammon/sugar then placed in the freezer again.  When one was ordered the ice cream ball was removed from the frig and wrapped in a tortilla--flour tortilla--and a toothpick placed at top to hold together then dropped into a vat of hot oil--again maybe 30 seconds--then removed and covered with slice bananas and a chocolate syrup.  That is the only place I have ever seen use a tortilla instead of the traditional corn flakes.

LeslieDean

Most intersting obviously a different traditional recipe than the one I have had,the best Fried Ice cream balls I've had were in a traditional Chinese Restaurant, and it was from there I got the recipe as they got to know me.

I honestly haven't done much American style cooking at all, don't know why, it's just never appealed to me. Even when I watch the American Masterchef versus the Aussie one (don't like the NZ one either lol) I prefer the tastes and techniques of Asian inspired food.

Edited by Stormswift

Scotch eggs are wonderful.  First had them in London at a pub.  Came back to USA and a few years later a coworker had just been accepted in Paris at a fancy cooking school.  I told her how much we enjoyed the Scotch Eggs and she invited us back to her place after we got off the evening shift and she would teach me how to make them. She lived off of Mullholland Drive high up in the Hollywood Hills.  The winding roads up through the canyon and all the twinkling lights below with SAN Fernando Valley on one side and LA on the other was breathtaking.  When the gates swung open to the estate she was living at I thought my eyes would pop out.  I was new to California and the sites were overwhelming.  It truly was a magical night.   She taught me well.  The Scotch eggs are always perfect with a runny center and a thin coating of sausage and bread crumbs.  She served them with an array of sauces.  Wonderful memory.

LeslieDean

Yes. Intricate work to turn out a quality Scotch Egg.  She had me keep dipping my hands an working quickly with the sausage because the heat from your hands quickly make the fat in the sausage greasy/slippery. And tool the egg in a light dusting of flour to make the sausage adhere.  Like you said, sausage too thick --raw near the egg!  Yuck!  Took me two times before I got it right.

LeslieDean

I think Leslie you and I have some things in common, how about a bake off in the new System huh?

Say a lemon meringue pie bake off? Hmm up for the challenge. (i'll be using an aga oven in the NS)

I watched sis stormswift about the waffle fried in a oil then the ice cream is stuffed inside after the waffle is cooked :) i havent heard or see fried ice cream balls

I watched sis stormswift about the waffle fried in a oil then the ice cream is stuffed inside after the waffle is cooked :) i havent heard or see fried ice cream balls

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

17 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

I have a question,  if I may...

What is 'double freeze '  and  'triple freeze '..?

What do you do? Why do you do it?...

It's when you scoop the ice cream, and refreeze as a scoop - it hardens more. Pictures Theaters often use this method to make their ice cream harder.

It's really just exposes the icecream to the freezer temperatures in smaller quantities - hard packed. With you putting the ice cream into already froze chocolate spheres, then you would then refreeze them again - making it a triple freeze. The other method of doing this quickly is in a blast chiller.

Like twice cooked chips really, but freezing instead. 

19 hours ago, Stormswift said:

It's when you scoop the ice cream, and refreeze as a scoop - it hardens more. Pictures Theaters often use this method to make their ice cream harder.

It's really just exposes the icecream to the freezer temperatures in smaller quantities - hard packed. With you putting the ice cream into already froze chocolate spheres, then you would then refreeze them again - making it a triple freeze. The other method of doing this quickly is in a blast chiller.

Like twice cooked chips really, but freezing instead. 

Thanks for the explanation,  it makes sense that restaurants would do this. 

Sorry for the late answer,  had internet problems yesterday and couldn't get on the site....

yeah im polishing my hacking skills. 

Yeah, you can do it small scale at home, but that is what makes this job fiddly and time consuming.  

Theatres used to do it because it was quicker to roll the ice creams in the mad rush at intervals, as they were already prerolled. 

Have to say though ... the end result is worth all the time and effort. 

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

yeah im polishing my hacking skills. 

I have to admire that, you managed to shut down hundreds of houses, for hours!!Nice job....lol

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

Have to say though ... the end result is worth all the time and effort. 

I dunno,  I'm not a real big  'foodie' ..I eat because I have to. If there was a pill that replaced eating I would be happy.  I would probably only eat a couple of times a week,  using that food pill the rest of the time. ..