JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hearing impaired get heard in free sign language lessons

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4579 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hearing impaired get heard in free sign language lessons

By Gobleth Moulic

Inquirer Northern Luzon

BAGUIO CITY—Deaf people, whose families could not afford to send them to special education classes, have been learning sign language for free and beyond classroom walls.

Sign language volunteers of the Jehovah’s Witnesses have been bringing classes right at the doorsteps of the hearing impaired since 1994, preferring to educate them in the comforts of their homes.

Some sign language teachers are themselves deaf. All of them have been spending their own time and money to reach out to the deaf community.

More than 2,000 volunteers, from the mountain town of Buguias in Benguet to the coastal villages of Mindanao, go from house to house to seek out the hearing impaired.

If the deaf family member has not undergone formal schooling but is willing to learn sign language, volunteers would be assigned to his or her home.

Once the deaf learns the basics, he or she can also take part in Bible classes offered by Jehovah’s Witnesses for free.

Full Article http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/78981/hearing-impaired-get-heard-in-free-sign-language-lessons

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I have been attending the Sign Language congregation for the last several weeks here locally. It's an amazing language, and I cannot wait to be fluent enough to go out in the ministry with it.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

It must be amazing to have a congregation that uses sign language, we don't have anything like that here.

Is it difficult to learn ? I can sign using this system but it takes ages to spell a word out !

http://www.british-sign.co.uk/fingerspelling.php

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Born and raised by deaf grandparents, I have supported the Deaf and Hard of Hearing my entire life. For over 50 years now, I have been working with the Deaf helping them learn from the Bible about Jehovah's Kingdom. It is so wonderful to see so many taking hold of a new language and helping the Deaf to learn. We now have a Deaf Congregation here in our home-town.

Born and raised by deaf grandparents, I have supported the Deaf and Hard of Hearing my entire life. For over 50 years now, I have been working with the Deaf helping them learn from the Bible about Jehovah's Kingdom. It is so wonderful to see so many taking hold of a new language and helping the Deaf to learn. We now have a Deaf Congregation here in our home-town.

There is good growth here as well. Just a few years ago all we had was a group. Then it became a congregation, and then split into 2, and then split again forming a 3rd one just a few weeks ago.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Sorry about the above post i was experimenting :-)

I cant split or hide from remote. Only move.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....