JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Taking Selfies Doesn't Make You a Narcissist

People take selfies for three primary reasons: they’re either taking them as communicators, as autobiographers, or as self-publicists. Only one of those motivations is actually associated with narcissism.

Taking Selfies Doesn't Make You a Narcissist (Lifehacker is a blog about life hacks and software and is owned by Univision Communications)

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Celebrities and their insistence on their minutiae being on social media is what influences those with narcissistic tendencies and so they imitate them.  Awful reality shows are common entertainment fodder for the masses.  And basically, so many of us are insecure in our appearance that the world provides a feeding frenzy on how to boost your self esteem by promoting yourself on social media, whatever your shape and size as an affirmation of your value.

"Everything in the world - the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one's means of life - does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world" 1 John 2:16

However, when you take a selfie, for instance while on holidays, it does feel awkward because of  the connotation that you are like those I've described above.  It's one of those topsy-turvy things this world produces - bad is good, and good is bad.

Celebrities and their insistence on their minutiae being on social media is what influences those with narcissistic tendencies and so they imitate them.  Awful reality shows are common entertainment fodder for the masses.  And basically, so many of us are insecure in our appearance that the world provides a feeding frenzy on how to boost your self esteem by promoting yourself on social media, whatever your shape and size as an affirmation of your value.

"Everything in the world - the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one's means of life - does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world" 1 John 2:16

However, when you take a selfie, for instance while on holidays, it does feel awkward because of  the connotation that you are like those I've described above.  It's one of those topsy-turvy things this world produces - bad is good, and good is bad.

But if you're insecure, you'd probably worry about taking selfies. Many people take selfies to remember themselves in a particular situation, or to share with friends and family, not to say "hey, look at ME".

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Johan, females are really influenced to "own it" etc in an attempt to boost their self-esteem, which is always fragile in this materialistic, showy world.  I assure you, it is very hard for a woman to feel confident in this world, even if you're not a teenager. I reckon the reason why they take so many selfies is to "talk themselves up" into feeling better about themselves, like a positive reaffirmation. 

I agree, not all selfies are taken for self-esteem purposes.  Just trying to explain the reasons why some take that narcissistic view of themselves - a false way of creating a better self image by telling the world "I don't give a stuff".

And marketing is onto this as well:
Special K ad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAVFCH9x7Og

Dove ad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOa7zVqxA4

Johan, females are really influenced to "own it" etc in an attempt to boost their self-esteem, which is always fragile in this materialistic, showy world.  I assure you, it is very hard for a woman to feel confident in this world, even if you're not a teenager. I reckon the reason why they take so many selfies is to "talk themselves up" into feeling better about themselves, like a positive reaffirmation. 

I agree, not all selfies are taken for self-esteem purposes.  Just trying to explain the reasons why some take that narcissistic view of themselves - a false way of creating a better self image by telling the world "I don't give a stuff".

And marketing is onto this as well:
Special K ad - 

Dove ad - 

I'd say that most selfies are probably not taken because of self-esteem issues. Some are, probably.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”