JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2429 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Two Jehovah's Witnesses leaders again win in court

MOSCOW PROVINCIAL COURT CONFIRMS ACQUITTAL VERDICT IN CASE OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ELDERS

SOVA Center for News and Analysis, 24 August 2017

On 24 August 2017, the Moscow provincial court left in force the verdict of acquittal in the case of two elders of the congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses in Sergiev Posad.

Viacheslav Stepanov and Andrei Sivak were accused of inciting religious hatred committed by an organized group (point "v" of part 2 of article 282 of the Criminal Code). The criminal case was opened in April 2013. The believers were accused of making statements during meetings that incited religious hatred, specifically, they quoted forbidden brochures of the Jehovah's Witnesses "What does the Bible really teach?" and "Draw neigh to Jehovah," which contain negative characterizations of other religions, including "traditional" Christianity and Christian clergy and which call for joining the Jehovah's Witnesses.

A Sergiev Posad city court back in March 2016 came to the conclusion the Stepanov and Sivak were innocent, not finding in their statements indicators of inciting hatred and taking note of substantive violations in the expert analysis that was conducted at the stage of preliminary investigation. However, in May 2016, the Moscow provincial court issued an appellate order that annulled the verdict and remanded the case for a new review. In June 2017, the Sergiev Posad court again acquitted Stepanov and Sivak, but the prosecutor's office again appealed the verdict.

We regard the prosecution of Jehovah's Witnesses for extremism to be religious discrimination. (tr. by PDS, posted 24 August 2017)

Background article:
Years-long criminal case against Jehovah's Witnesses leaders ended
July 4, 2017

Russia Religion News Current News Items

This news is good news!

When directly quoting/copying material from a news source it is preferred practice to credit the source. in this case it is:

https://www.jw-russia.org/news/17082417-208.html

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

21 hours ago, Old said:

This news is good news!

When directly quoting/copying material from a news source it is preferred practice to credit the source. in this case it is:

https://www.jw-russia.org/news/17082417-208.html

I tried to keep it in the same thread as other good news from Russia   ...   

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)