JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Keeping flasks clean. What’s the secret?

I now make a flask of tea for Emma at bedtime so she can swallow meds easier should she need to. They look sparkling inside when I clean and rinse them but always smell after a few hours. Like old washing-up water. (Stainless steel, unbreakable flasks because everything ends up falling on the floor here!)

What do I need?

Bicarbonate of soda?

Denture tablets?

...?

Emma doesn’t like the idea of me hanging a toilet cleaning block on each one. Lavender tea is a thing, right?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I use a flask everyday but I keep only water in it.  Off the top of my head, I would suggest as you said, using bicarbonate of soda or lemon juice and water.  (The more concentrated the lemon, the better.)  You may also wish to do a google search using the phrase "cleaning flasks naturally". :)

How To Clean A Yeti or Tervis Cup

Whether your goal is to remove a stain or an odor in your favorite cup here is the best trick:

1. Don’t use the dishwasher

2. Pour some baking soda into the cup (use enough to cover the stain and a little more to scrub off at least the side of the cup)

3.Pour half a cup of white distilled vinegar in the cup

4.Use a non-scratch sponge or damp rag to use the paste created and scrub

5. Rinse

NO MORE SIPPING LAST WEEK’S COFFEE STAINS OR BEER ODORS!

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

3 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

2. Pour some baking soda into the cup (use enough to cover the stain and a little more to scrub off at least the side of the cup)

3.Pour half a cup of white distilled vinegar in the cup

Mix vinegar and baking soda?

That can make quite a reaction...:o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

17 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Mix vinegar and baking soda?

That can make quite a reaction...:o

I have seen several books mention making a ‘volcano’ with the kids using those. I remember choking and opening the window when we did it.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Logically, I am not cleaning them properly, they are getting contaminated afterwards, or it’s my breath!

I boughta-better-bottle-brush and read the 1995 Awake about bad breath.

I’ll try the vinegar and baking soda thing on Emma’s favourite mug. (Next to an open window.)

687F6BFA-5D55-41AF-AE40-44A7F7412B5E.jpeg.6a6762097f693e1e20ab29f116b198be.jpeg

4 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

I have seen several books mention making a ‘volcano’ with the kids using those. I remember choking and opening the window when we did it.

Yeah. Don't mix bleach and ammonia either.That will kill you. 

After I retired,  after many years of welding,  I found out that using a certain automotive cleaning product(Braklean) on a hot piece of steel will also kill you. Apparently it creates phosgene, a chemical warfare agent used in the war to end all wars, volume one...

Who knew?....

I reckon that I'm lucky that I never breathed the fumes, everytime I did that---:oops:

3 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Logically, I am not cleaning them properly, they are getting contaminated afterwards, or it’s my breath!

I boughta-better-bottle-brush and read the 1995 Awake about bad breath.

So, you're gonna use the new model bottle brush to clean your teeth?  Nice. .

If people complain about my breath,  I just tell them that it's the stink that's imbedded in the hair under their nose, blowing back in their face...:beard3:

(Should that be in the beard thread, I don't want to rub someone raw?)

• 5 months later...

Pro tip:

Dont sniff a flask while also holding a steak knife. Half an inch short of stabbing myself in the face.

#you’reWelcome