JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library - Restoring a Backup

Hi guys

Just wondering whether anyone has tried creating a back up on JW Library on one device and tried restoring the back up to another device?

I've tried transferring all my meeting notes etc, from my phone to open on my tablet, but when I try to restore it on the tablet it just comes up with an error message saying something is wrong with the file.

Any ideas?

Thanks

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

7 hours ago, Superdonk said:

Hi guys

Just wondering whether anyone has tried creating a back up on JW Library on one device and tried restoring the back up to another device?

I've tried transferring all my meeting notes etc, from my phone to open on my tablet, but when I try to restore it on the tablet it just comes up with an error message saying something is wrong with the file.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have done just what you are trying to do, and it works for me, which means it should work for you. If it's not working, be sure you're running the most recent JWL on both devices. Are you dealing with Windows 10, iOS, or Android?

Hi guys

Any ideas?

Thanks
Not sure the exact steps you are using for the backup, but may I suggest this... Devicesycan be a little sensitive to backup and restore steos done on different models and operating platforms. What you may want to backs up is just your gems and notes. This is done via the Gems or Personal Study notes. Click on the cloud icon, top right to 'Create' backup. I put mine on the free Google 'One Drive'. I change the first part of the name to AAAsomething19Jan18.jwlibrary (note:the end must be the same. I go aaa cause it lists alphabetically on my cloud...)
Now on your 2nd device you restore from the Gems icon/cloud 'Restore'. You select the file with the name you gave it. If the file with the name is not there, chevk your settings, mine would only backup to cloud when on a wifi network. I had to force it to use my cell phone data. Then i found the exact file name on the cloud from my 2nd device.
One odd thing happened to me, I lost all my prestudy notes for the book study for that night...
And remember, it does not interleave your notes-keeping the latest from both. It OVERWRITES them to match the original. So I make ALL my study notes on device one, and restore only to device 2.
Hope this helps...

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

7 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

Not sure the exact steps you are using for the backup, but may I suggest this... Devicesycan be a little sensitive to backup and restore steos done on different models and operating platforms. What you may want to backs up is just your gems and notes. This is done via the Gems or Personal Study notes. Click on the cloud icon, top right to 'Create' backup. I put mine on the free Google 'One Drive'. I change the first part of the name to AAAsomething19Jan18.jwlibrary (note:the end must be the same. I go aaa cause it lists alphabetically on my cloud...)
Now on your 2nd device you restore from the Gems icon/cloud 'Restore'. You select the file with the name you gave it. If the file with the name is not there, chevk your settings, mine would only backup to cloud when on a wifi network. I had to force it to use my cell phone data. Then i found the exact file name on the cloud from my 2nd device.
One odd thing happened to me, I lost all my prestudy notes for the book study for that night...
And remember, it does not interleave your notes-keeping the latest from both. It OVERWRITES them to match the original. So I make ALL my study notes on device one, and restore only to device 2.
Hope this helps...

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

This is exactly right. Nicely written. 

Now that hat were discussing this, :offtopic:, having to backup constantly and restoring on all devices to avoid overwriting my notes is quite cumbersome. Especially when taking notes on the fly at other settings, not only meetings, such as elder meetings, or other theocratic meetings. iBooks automatically syncs across all devices. I'm on the fence with this, but at the same time, I feel guilty if I stop using JW Library to study. 

OKAY, BACK ON TOPIC: Naming the file is a good idea. I didn't even know you could rename the file while saving. 

Still not working for me - I'm restoring from a Sony phone to a Lenovo tablet, so there may be some issue with that then.

Ah well! 

Thanks for you help :)

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

22 minutes ago, Superdonk said:

Still not working for me - I'm restoring from a Sony phone to a Lenovo tablet, so there may be some issue with that then.

Ah well! 

Thanks for you help :)

Have you always experienced this problem, or did it just start? You may want to try to restore the last good backup, and once you're sure that file is not corrupted, delete the JWL app and redownload it again. Another thing to try is to use a different cloud service to save the file to. For a while I was using Google Drive, but then my iPad would not read those files stored there, so I went to OneDrive, and finally I'm using iCloud Drive. I hope it works out for you. 

Edited by leoperales

There is a brother on YouTube that goes through the whole process and makes it simple. Have not tried it between phone and tablet, but it's worked between iPad, iPod Touch, Android tablet, and Amazon Fire tablet. Here's the link and I hope it helps!

http://appchasers.com/2017/05/09/how-to-use-the-jw-library-app-part-5-notes-and-backup/

The Bible is what very few want to hear but it's the message that everyone is looking for (Prov. 1:20-23 & 3:5,6).

Would you believe it - I've just tried it again and the things worked!!!! :o

Nothings changed - no updates have been done, it just worked!

Weird - but at least its sorted now.

Thank you all very much for your help!

D

2 hours ago, Superdonk said:

Would you believe it - I've just tried it again and the things worked!!!! :o

Nothings changed - no updates have been done, it just worked!

Weird - but at least its sorted now.

Thank you all very much for your help!

D

I don’t believe it! Well, glad it all worked out for you.

• 5 years later...

I have the same problem now. I kept synching between my phone and laptop since years. Suddenly it doesn't work anymore. I get the note (in German) "Restore Failed - The backup file generates an error" Anyone found a good solution yet?

• 1 month later...
Le 14/08/2023 à 15h40, Nik a déclaré:

J'ai le même problème maintenant. Je n'arrêtais pas de synchroniser mon téléphone et mon ordinateur portable depuis des années. Soudain, cela ne fonctionne plus. Je vois la note (en allemand) "Restaurer l'échoué - Le fichier de sauvegarde génère une erreur" Tout le monde a encore trouvé une bonne solution?

Bonjour

Il y a effectivement un problème de compatibilité entre les différentes versions de JW Library. J'ai pour ma part un PC en W11 64 bits et un W10 en 32 bits. Les deux n'ont pas la même version de JW Library. Je suis parvenu à contourner le problème en dézippant la sauvegarde et en modifiant 2 fiches de celle-ci. Quand c'est fait je zippe à nouveau et la sauvegarde passe sur le 2ème ordinateur.

Si ça peut intéresser je pourrais faire un tutoriel.

Bien fraternellement

Jacques

• 4 weeks later...