JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wt library 1702 update

Hello, I have the original 2016 edition program installed on my windows 10 PC.  I tried to update my Wt Library. The update starts but it doesn't update. It keeps giving me an error "Failed to update Watchtower Library.  Please make sure that there are no other instances of Watchtower Library running, Then try again."

When the update starts, it closes the WT Library program, like it should. I updates to 3% then gives the "Failed to update Watchtower Library.  Please make sure that there are no other instances of Watchtower Library running, Then try again."

I also to apply Package manually using WTLibrary.E.WTE.1702.BASE.UPDATEPKG. The update starts but I still get that same error.

Sometimes it will say, "Failed to validate"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, the 2016 version,   Reboot several times. the  same results

Please Help

I can offer the same suggestion as last time you asked, make sure you do not have ANY older versions of the WTLIB still installed on your system.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Could you have created a folder for the update file and named it "2016 WT library" Or any combination of "WT, Watchtower Library, etc"? I'm assuming the install file is seeing something on your system that it doesn't like.

EDIT: Also, try disabling any anti-virus programs you have running until after the install finishes.

Edited by Musky

disabled any anti-virus programs 

I unistalled using a third party program and  deleted everything related to WT library. Same results

The update log has this;

01-02-2018 21-35-25-35M: Platform 2.10, Build 7632
01-02-2018 21-35-25-35M: Started updater thread.
01-02-2018 21-35-45-35M: Extracting the update package: C:\Users\Henksey\AppData\Local\Watchtower\WTLibrary\E\WTE\Updates\WTLibrary.E.WTE.1702.BASE.UPDATEPKG
01-02-2018 21-35-49-35M: wtlibrary.exe current revision: 7632
01-02-2018 21-35-49-35M: Found wtlibrary.exe in update package:  Revision: 7632
01-02-2018 21-35-50-35M: wtlibrary.exe will not be updated
01-02-2018 21-36-22-36M: A file exception occurred for file C:\Program Files\Watchtower\Watchtower Library\E\rs_data_indexing\PUBS\NWTSTY_E\MEDIA\nwtsv_E_270_r720P.mp4
The disk is full.

01-02-2018 21-36-22-36M: Update Failed
01-02-2018 21-36-22-36M: Deleting C:\Program Files\Watchtower\Watchtower Library\E\system
01-02-2018 21-36-22-36M: Deleted
01-02-2018 21-36-22-36M: Deleting C:\Program Files\Watchtower\Watchtower Library\E\rs_data_indexing
01-02-2018 21-36-23-36M: Deleted
01-02-2018 21-36-23-36M: Destroying updater dialog
01-02-2018 21-36-29-36M: Destroying library update manager

My disk is not full though

Interesting. It appears that the problem start at this point:

"01-02-2018 21-36-22-36M: A file exception occurred for file C:\Program Files\Watchtower\Watchtower Library\E\rs_data_indexing\PUBS\NWTSTY_E\MEDIA\nwtsv_E_270_r720P.mp4"

It's as if the video file is corrupt. Not sure what you could do about it except maybe to try deleting that file before applying the update? I'm not recommending this, just throwing it out there.

Hopefully someone else will get an idea from this log file.

57 minutes ago, henksey said:

01-02-2018 21-36-22-36M: A file exception occurred for file C:\Program Files\Watchtower\Watchtower Library\E\rs_data_indexing\PUBS\NWTSTY_E\MEDIA\nwtsv_E_270_r720P.mp4
The disk is full.

From this line of the log, it seems that there's not enough room on your hard drive to apply the update.

If you have a secondary hard drive or thumb drive with more than ~10GB free you should be able to reinstall WT Library there and get the updates just fine, otherwise you may need to clear out some older programs/files to free up enough space.

You had said previously that "my disk is not full" so I assumed you had checked how much space you have available. The video file that causes the exception is 65mb in size and may be the first file of substantial size that will be installed during the update. IF the install program checks your available free space at that point and determines there is not enough room for the entire 1.3GB to complete the install, this could be the issue as Stavro says. 

Please let us know what happens when you try to install to a different drive or free up space on your system (C) drive. When you can, of course. 

• 2 weeks later...