JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Our Ancient Ancestor's teeth & Modern Dental Care

I was curious tonight whether the portrayal of ancient people with bad teeth in media and other works of fiction teeth was very accurate, and it turns out it's not! Ancient people had better teeth than us despite lack of tooth brushes and tooth care products, and explanations tend to point to diet. They ate more natural foods and did not consume much sugar like modern humans do, and especially not refined sugar.

https://medium.com/forever-young/for-hundreds-of-thousands-of-years-humans-did-not-brush-their-teeth-why-do-we-brush-them-now-1bfe99250a35

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/11902097/Ancient-Romans-had-perfect-teeth-thanks-to-healthy-low-sugar-diet.html

I've often thought to myself, whislt dentists are certainly good and beneficial for people, if there was always a little bit of a marketing scam in there somewhere. For example, dentist cleaning products and toothpaste contains fluoride which is good at cleaning teeth, but in turn research shows it goes towards producing or making them more prone plaque and tartar in turn, causing a cycle of cleaning and degrading with a single product. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fluoride/

Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral found in water in varying amounts

It can help prevent tooth decay, which is why it's added to many brands of toothpaste and, in some areas, to the water supply through a process called fluoridation. 

Community water fluoridation

Most water supplies contain some fluoride and in the early 20th century, levels of tooth decay were found to be associated with fluoride levels in drinking water.

This of course is all depended on the levels that are used, but it would not surprise me if they put it in products to promote good "instant" results but promoted long term tooth vulnerablity. You always see toothpastes promoted by dental companies, people who are paid to fix your teeth.

It's why I brush my teeth with water, baking soda and coconut oil and someyimes chew on eggshells with the membrain as they are known for preventing and fixing existing cavities. I also have a very low sugar content diet and have very healthy, white teeth with no cavities and I rarely ever go to a dentist (though obviously when I need to I do) and I don't always brush twice a day.  (My only weak area is the bottom front two teeth I have, which has a tendency for building tartar for some reason and may be related to some kind of form of dry mouth, lack of saliva in the area which can lead to plaque build up, which I always end up having to scrape and break off with my personal dental tools and sonic devices, but all my other teeth are great.)

But back on track, it's interesting how our ancestors had better teeth than us despite lack of brushing and it shows just how much junk is in our modern food.

Edited by EccentricM

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

.... it's interesting how our ancestors had better teeth than us despite lack of brushing ..

I heard they used to brush their teeth with Camel urine. May that’s the secret to good healthy teeth. :shrugs::toothbrush:

Matt give it a try and let us know how it works. :lol2:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

1 minute ago, Pjdriver said:

I heard they used to brush their teeth with Camel urine. May that’s the secret to good healthy teeth. :shrugs::toothbrush:

In some countries, yes.. lol. Can't say I recomend that one. In india they drink cow urine and make other products from it because they saw it as holy. What a contrast to the commands Jehovah gave the Hebrews.

22 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

In some countries, yes.. lol. Can't say I recomend that one. In india they drink cow urine and make other products from it because they saw it as holy. What a contrast to the commands Jehovah gave the Hebrews.

Searching, searching, He told them not to drink cow pee? Chapter verse, please.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 minute ago, Old said:

Searching, searching, He told them not to drink cow pee? Chapter verse, please.

Not a direct command to not drink urine, but the princible of sanitary commands. Meaning he told them to take their waste out of the local area, bury it and cover it with dirt. This princible would indicate Jehovah would not want them drinking or eating it. 

Deuteronomy 23:12-14 - "A private place should be designated for use outside the camp, and there is where you should go. 13 A peg should be part of your equipment. When you squat outside, you should dig a hole with it and then cover your excrement."

Though this verse is about excretement, we can easily apply the same princible to the other type of bodily waste too.

Also, in their culture it was seen as a disgusting thing as it was something that would be forced upon captives who lost to other nations.

2 Kings 18:26 - "But the Rabʹsha·keh said to them: “Is it just to your lord and to you that my lord sent me to speak these words? Is it not also to the men who sit on the wall, those who will eat their own excrement and drink their own urine along with you?”

So, if it was a practice they approved of, they would of had no issues drinking their own urine and it would not have been a valid insult or threat. Of course this is not a direct quote linked to a command, but it gives you an idea of how it was viewed.