JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The 'God' Particle

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4503 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On a lighter note - an amusing letter to the Daily Mail December 20th 2011:

"Scientists at Cern claim they've found evidence for the Higgs Bosun or God particle.

They also say the function of the Higgs Bosun is to give mass to other particles within the atom.

Is this the definitive proof that God is Catholic?"

:?::o

I disliked how the researcher's notably had an issue with the name of the particle. It's obvious to see that they had an issue with anything related to a religious point of view - either due to personal bias (something I will refer to later on in the paragraph), or fear that religious zealots would grab hold of their work and take the scientific value from it.

In this case, I don't think it's that we do not that value the research being done, it's just that their viewpoint as to the originator of the particle is in direct contradiction to ours.

I know many scientists who would openly deride anyone who believes anything other than science, and have dealt with professors, and students who do just so. However, there are also the select few that look at this and marvel, knowing that such finite particles, like the boson were likely very instrumental in the formation of the universe and wonder just how it was that Jehovah created them.

Both sides are biased though. Those who are not believers are biased, and look for ways to disprove any existence of God (or maybe they just don't care, and couldn't be bothered because they think it is a collection of fairy tales. In a word; Apathetic) Those who are believers are biased as well, and we search out ways to spin the things we see in the physical world around us to point out to those without the same belief - SEE I TOLD YOU THERE'S A GOD!

However, any bias between these two groups is summed up quite nicely by the words of Acts 13:48 - When those of the nations heard this, they began to rejoice and to glorify the word of Jehovah, and all those who were rightly disposed for everlasting life became believers.

When looking at this from the eyes of my own personal bias, I see in it, like I see in every other aspect of our universe (at least the aspects I personally know about), that there is specificity beyond measure in the creation of it. To me, the boson is what the Creation book would point to as part of the 'fine tuning of the radio'. As an aside I am blown away by the atom, protons, neutrons, electrons in different orbitals with specific spin (either up or down), all seemingly in different shapes, that allow them to interact with each other in a SPECIFIC manner, and as if that weren't enough, they're all packed into an itty bitty living space. Atoms of each element, which we've only scuffed the surface of....

There are actually six types of boson, and the Higgs boson is one of them that had not yet been observed. What is pretty cool about this, is that Higgs postulated in the late 20's the existence of this particle in order to satisfy some of the criteria necessary to the Standard Model. The other bosons are the four gauge boson, and the Graviton.

What I can say I do admire about these scientists is that their curiousity has led to us knowing just a little more about the absolutely, spectacular, stupendous, awe-inspiring creations of Jehovah.

Things of this nature give me goosebumps, and cause me to turn my eyes heavenward and wonder that although I am an ant crawling the face of the earth, who am I that Jehovah would actually keep me in mind?

There seems to be a trend going on here. The regular scientist always attributes to the answers of the universe through his discovery and presentation of some type of evolution process. They want to find the origins of everything. The deeper you dive, the more pressure you see in regards to the inexplainable minutias of the universe. This is where they get lost and do not give in to being helpless. Sooner or later, they have to attribute that all mass and energy has an origin, which many scientist are coming to the conclusion now. The sun, stars, galaxies and universe had to have an origin because the massive amount of energy they store and regenerate could not have been perpetuated out of nothing. This is where they are lost. Jehovah is the awesome creator of the universe. Isaiah 40:26, “Raise YOUR eyes high up and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who is bringing forth the army of them even by number, all of whom he calls even by name. Due to the abundance of dynamic energy, he also being vigorous in power, not one [of them] is missing.