JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Nicaragua - 'There's no law'

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2068 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/there-s-no-law-political-crisis-sends-nicaraguans-fleeing?cx_cid=edm:newspm:2019

Another country on the brink of anarchy is Nicaragua.  I'm sure I read somewhere that the brothers are not using KHs and are meeting in private homes due to safety concerns.  (Or it may have been another country nearby).  Here's why.

"With a violent political crisis that has ruined the economy and challenged President Daniel Ortega’s hold on power, people are fleeing the country in droves.... 

Nicaragua suddenly exploded in mid-April, when Ortega’s government announced changes to the social security program, setting off nationwide street protests that quickly turned violent. Demonstrators clashed with security forces and barricaded roadways across the nation, bringing commerce to a halt....

Nearly 13,000 acres of private property — including farmland, forests, mining areas and land intended for housing developments — have been overrun in at least 37 land grabs across seven states.....  In one case, hundreds, if not thousands, of shacks have sprung up on undeveloped private land in rolling hills on the southwestern outskirts of the capital. Some of the land had been planned for a housing development, but the squatters have parcelled off territory and some are even wiring their shacks with electricity."

It should come as no surprise we are seeing more and more of this. Humans were just not made with the ability to govern themselves successfully. We all know the scripture at Jeremiah 10:23, saying that man cannot direct his own step. So how can he possibly direct someone else's? Disaster is always the sad result of trying to get around that scriptural standard.

• 2 weeks later...

A post I read on Instagram said that the brothers in Nicaragua are having their regional conventions in their own KHs, perhaps because it is not safe or viable to be in large venues. All talks will be streamed as there will be no live speakers. 

I cannot verify this this as I don’t know the sister who posted it. However, if it’s true, it’s good they are receiving their convention food too. Things can change in a moment, as we know, but Jehovah always comes through.