JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do you keep from getting sunburned in service?

You can choose more than one answer.  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How do you keep from getting sunburned in service?

• Hat
    • Sunscreen
    • Umbrella
    • Long sleeves
    • I don't worry about getting burnt
    • Stand in shade
    • Other

Lol 70 degree weather is nothing. I’m from Texas. It gets much hotter here. I used to own my own landscaping business and I’ve worked for two different car detailing companies, so I’ve spent many years in the sun for over 8 hours a day without wearing a hat or long sleeves. Never been sun burned. I’ve never heard of anyone with my compexion being sun burned. I’m not saying it can’t happen. Just never heard of it.
My skin never peeled/burn in my life until I got in that Carlsbad sun ... The water hitting my back while showering made me wonder "what that's weird stinging feeling on my back?" I lived in Texas and never burned. I live in the desert and never burned... Oh by the I'm dark skinned! 555b269fadd7f0988453c93913a9078f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

My skin never peeled/burnemoji91.png in my life until I got in that Carlsbad sun emoji295.png... The water hitting my back while showering emoji371.png made me wonder "what that's weird stinging feeling on my back?" I lived in Texas and never burned. I live in the desert and never burnedemoji91.png... Oh by the I'm dark skinned! emoji23.png555b269fadd7f0988453c93913a9078f.jpg

Wow never heard of that happening to any dark skinned person. That must be rare.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, Tbs77 said:

Have you been to the beach in Carlsbad, California in the summer, with 70 degree weather? That sun does not discriminate! emoji6.png

Yes. Did you go to Legoland?

😁

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Wow never heard of that happening to any dark skinned person. That must be rare.

Not too rare... I've known many dark brown people to get burned in the sun. Especially on cruise vacations to the Caribbean. Blisters, peeling... 😕

Sunscreen, people 

10 hours ago, Hope said:

Not too rare... I've known many dark brown people to get burned in the sun. Especially on cruise vacations to the Caribbean. Blisters, peeling... 😕

Sunscreen, people 

Well, I would never wear sunscreen. I personally don’t put anything on my skin that I can’t eat. If I can’t eat it, I don’t put it on. For example, I haven’t worn lotion in over 10 years. I made this decision because when you put on lotion, it doesn’t just disappear. It is absorbed through the skin and within seconds it’s in your blood stream, your heart and brain. True, only a fraction of it enters your blood stream... but that’s still too much. I reason that if eating lotion is harmful, then putting it in your blood stream must be harmful as well. I stopped having problems with dry skin after I stopped wearing lotion. For a little while I was wearing virgin coconut oil but don’t need it anymore.

This is why I would never wear sunscreen. That stuff has chemicals in it and for all we know it can cause cancer... 

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, Brother Jack said:

Well, I would never wear sunscreen. I personally don’t put anything on my skin that I can’t eat. If I can’t eat it, I don’t put it on. For example, I haven’t worn lotion in over 10 years. I made this decision because when you put on lotion, it doesn’t just disappear. It is absorbed through the skin and within seconds it’s in your blood stream, your heart and brain. True, only a fraction of it enters your blood stream... but that’s still too much. I reason that if eating lotion is harmful, then putting it in your blood stream must be harmful as well. I stopped having problems with dry skin after I stopped wearing lotion. For a little while I was wearing virgin coconut oil but don’t need it anymore.

This is why I would never wear sunscreen. That stuff has chemicals in it and for all we know it can cause cancer... 

Brother Jack, I echo and appreciate your post.  I've never used sunscreen nor has my family.  Melanin has been tried, tested and found true in the hot West and East African sun and Rio de Janeiro..lol.  I spent a whole month in Kenya (and in the ministry) as well as several combined months in Nigeria, Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire.  My skin would darken but never burned.

Sweating?!  Well that's a whole different subject!