JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Violence spreads between Buddhists and Muslims in Myanmar"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2066 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Sectarian clashes between Buddhists and Muslims in Burma, also known as Myanmar, spread to at least two other towns in the country's heartland over the weekend, undermining government efforts to quash an eruption of violence that has killed dozens of people and displaced 10,000 more.

President Thein Sein declared a state of emergency in the region on Friday and deployed army troops to the worst hit city, Meikhtila. But even as soldiers were able to impose order there after several days of anarchy that saw armed Buddhists torch the city's Muslim quarters, unrest was reported in two other towns to the south.

Late Sunday, state television said that mobs burned down a mosque and 50 homes on Saturday in Yamethin, about 64 kilometres from Meikhtila, and another mosque and several buildings were also set ablaze in Lewei, further south near the capital, Naypyitaw.

The government has put the total death toll at 32, and authorities say they have detained at least 35 people allegedly involved in arson and violence in the region. 

Thousands flee homes

On Sunday, Vijay Nambiar, the UN secretary-general's special adviser on Myanmar, toured Meikhtila and called on the government to punish those responsible.

He also visited some of the nearly 10,000 people driven from their homes in the unrest. Most of the displaced are minority Muslims, who appeared to have suffered the brunt of the violence as armed Buddhist mobs roamed city.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/violence-spreads-between-buddhists-and-muslims-in-burma-1.1313184

The two religions of "peace" and "enlightenment".

Edited by EccentricM

Sectarian clashes between Buddhists and Muslims in Burma, also known as Myanmar, spread to at least two other towns in the country's heartland over the weekend, undermining government efforts to quash an eruption of violence that has killed dozens of people and displaced 10,000 more.
President Thein Sein declared a state of emergency in the region on Friday and deployed army troops to the worst hit city, Meikhtila. But even as soldiers were able to impose order there after several days of anarchy that saw armed Buddhists torch the city's Muslim quarters, unrest was reported in two other towns to the south.
Late Sunday, state television said that mobs burned down a mosque and 50 homes on Saturday in Yamethin, about 64 kilometres from Meikhtila, and another mosque and several buildings were also set ablaze in Lewei, further south near the capital, Naypyitaw.

The government has put the total death toll at 32, and authorities say they have detained at least 35 people allegedly involved in arson and violence in the region. 

Thousands flee homes

On Sunday, Vijay Nambiar, the UN secretary-general's special adviser on Myanmar, toured Meikhtila and called on the government to punish those responsible.
He also visited some of the nearly 10,000 people driven from their homes in the unrest. Most of the displaced are minority Muslims, who appeared to have suffered the brunt of the violence as armed Buddhist mobs roamed city.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/violence-spreads-between-buddhists-and-muslims-in-burma-1.1313184

The two religions of "peace" and "enlightenment".
Wow! incredible news.... soooo sad, yet hopefully all those displaced will have a better chance to hear of Jehovah's wonderful blessing coming soon. I pray for all those displaced all over the world

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Just now, SheyZ said:

good point...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Oh, good catch. I did come across a very recent one however, I tried to look for multiple articles on it as it was not yet fully verified on that site (though reputable) and decided on the one I found without noticing the date.

Here were are https://www.wikitribune.com/story/2018/07/09/myanmar/timeline-rohingya-persecution-in-myanmar/74930/

Truthfully - my heart breaks for all those suffering at the hands of fellow man - regardless of dates - I just found myself reading it out loud to those in the room with me and then when I saw the date.  But ya … it changes the pain not and appreciate these injustices in the world being brought to our attention .

I was reading about this a couple of days ago on the BBC website. There are a whole range on articles on this crisis, which is horrendous and terribly sad, from the rape of young girls by soldiers, to the havoc the monsoon season has brought on to the refugee camps.  How these people keep going under these conditions is amazing, and it shows that Jehovah has put into the human spirit a tenacity for life which isn't easily given up. 

There are so many crises in so many parts of the world, many brought on by 'forces of nature'.  But the ones that fulfil Eccl 8:9 really are the most despicable because the cruelty of humans towards his fellow man knows no bounds.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.