JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fermenting

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, bagwell1987 said:

Does anyone do fermenting? I've done it for about 3 years now and really like how I can save vegetables through the winter and enjoy them with their original crunch. I have a tub of carrot I thought I'd blanch and put in the freezer but I've decided to save them in the tub with mulch so I can ferment them all winter.

I still have cucumbers coming on so I fermented 2 quarts of them. The probiotic value of them both is amazing.

I hope some of you have done this.

Ok, I read this thread yesterday and you peaked my curiosity.   I checked out a few utube vids and its good for  folks like me who are lactose intolerant and its a good way to build up my good gut bacteria.  I always wondered why I was attracted to vinegar on my fries or pickles and olives. They all go through similar fermenting process that's good for me. Today I went out and found some raw beet and cabbage sauerkraut and some Korean Kimchi in health food section and figured lets try it, even if its just once. Ok, wow. this stuff is good. A little pricy because its pre made and comes from California from Wildbrine.com  but I'm very impressed.

I live in a rather constantly hot apartment so im not sure if I will try to make my own.  Utube vid also mentioned - this was the way food was preserved before refrigerators came around and because of preservatives ,  peoples health isn't what it used to be.

Thanks Cheryl for posting this topic. 

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

Your welcome Vinnie, I really enjoy learning about things that have become a lost art for most people. So many people don't know anything about their food, although that is slowly changing with urban gardening becoming more popular and so many farmers markets around. 

Perhaps I misunderstood you in what you understand about fermenting. There is no vinegar in fermented foods. Canned yes but not fermented. I'm just speaking about sauerkraut, carrot, cauliflower, cucumbers and the like. To ferment is to use salt and time to cause lacto fermentation. There are yeasts on the skins of veg and it produces the action. You should have seen the carrots when I finally put them in the fridg, they were bubbling away. Some people add extra stuff to cause fermentation but I just use salt or some brine from another jar of ferment.

I do enjoy making beer too. My beer was so smooth, I liked a full bodied hoppy red. But I'm unable to drink it anymore, food allergies, so I'm giving all my beer stuff to a brother. 

Your beet and cabbage sauerkraut sounds wonderful, I'll have to try that. And like you I crave vinegar type stuff too, I start salivating when I think of green olives, sauerkraut, pickled vegetables, beets...love beets. You should see the ones I pickled this last season. I've never seen such a deep rich red beet. The juice even stained my hands, I've never had that happen. A little staining but not something I couldn't wash off. Like when I pickled red onion, THAT stained my skin for a couple days. MH loves the pickled red onion on his sandwiches, he said he tries to eat 1/2 a sandwich then wait for a while for the other half but it's sooo good he couldn't wait.

OK rambled on long enough...

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2018 at 10:05 PM, bagwell1987 said:

Does anyone do fermenting?

YES!  I am also an avid fermenter!   Every fall, I turn 50 pounds of cabbage into sauerkraut.  I also ferment other vegetables as well as making my own sourdough.  

I use a Polish fermentation crock and, also use airlock's on gallon and quart glass jars.

I process most of the kraut but always keep some fresh, for the added health benefits.  Nothing better for your health!!

Pork roast, potatoes and, sauerkraut with a little brown sugar and caraway - Soooooooooo good.

Drink the juice - ABSOLUTELY!

Gary - Apfelwein sounds fantastic.

Fermenter.jpg

Cabbage.jpg

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

5 hours ago, Loje said:

YES!  I am also an avid fermenter!   Every fall, I turn 50 pounds of cabbage into sauerkraut.  I also ferment other vegetables as well as making my own sourdough.  

I use a Polish fermentation crock and, also use airlock's on gallon and quart glass jars.

I process most of the kraut but always keep some fresh, for the added health benefits.  Nothing better for your health!!

Pork roast, potatoes and, sauerkraut with a little brown sugar and caraway - Soooooooooo good.

Drink the juice - ABSOLUTELY!

Gary - Apfelwein sounds fantastic.

Fermenter.jpg

Cabbage.jpg

I love, love your post. I've eaten all my summer ferments and had to buy organic cabbage from the store to make another half gallon of sauerkraut. It's been in the cupboard for over 2 weeks but I want to let it ferment for just a little bit longer. Then I need to start another half gallon because I eat either cabbage or fermented cabbage everyday

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34