JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fermenting

Does anyone do fermenting? I've done it for about 3 years now and really like how I can save vegetables through the winter and enjoy them with their original crunch. I have a tub of carrot I thought I'd blanch and put in the freezer but I've decided to save them in the tub with mulch so I can ferment them all winter.

I still have cucumbers coming on so I fermented 2 quarts of them. The probiotic value of them both is amazing.

I hope some of you have done this.

1985368223_carrot(861x1531).thumb.jpg.82734570a34966e6548c7e3714f53229.jpg

1634956259_ferment(1)(861x1531).thumb.jpg.9251fe10018f5e8f45c6f56f84c658df.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Yes, I do fermenting. I have a batch of sauerkraut I started last weekend. It isn't bad.

I haven't done a lot of vegetable fermenting. I have only done cabbage, but I want to extend that. I do wine... (mead, apple juice (called apfelwein). grape juice, sake). I don't think that is what you are hinting at though. I want to do some garlic, carrots, celery... maybe some turnip. I have all kinds of ideas.

8 hours ago, Gary910 said:

Yes, I do fermenting. I have a batch of sauerkraut I started last weekend. It isn't bad.

I haven't done a lot of vegetable fermenting. I have only done cabbage, but I want to extend that. I do wine... (mead, apple juice (called apfelwein). grape juice, sake). I don't think that is what you are hinting at though. I want to do some garlic, carrots, celery... maybe some turnip. I have all kinds of ideas.

I'm so impressed with this. Have to admit I was nervous to bring it up, in my community of people I'm looked at like I'm weird or something. Some people even call my ferments 'rotten' food. Boy they don't know what they're missing.

I'd like to know more about apfelwein, it's apple season now. Another thing I need to order is an apple press (for just juice), do you have to use a press to make it?

3 hours ago, BibleSteve said:

I started a few weeks ago with red cabbage (think some lands call it purple cabbage) ate the first after 7 days and the second after ten days and it is absolutely delicious! bought a lot of different organic veg to try various recipes with it this week oh and 12 new jars.

I haven't done red cabbage, it tends to be a bit bitter to me. But maybe fermenting it changes that.

I really want to hear more about what you ferment and the recipes you use. That goes for you too Gary. 

I'm doing kimchi in the next few weeks but right now it's 2 half gallon jars of sauerkraut. I can eat it all the time! 

Oh do you men drink the ferment juice. I do. Small amounts each day till gone.

Do you cook your sauerkraut? I do but only to 180 degrees F.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On 9/11/2018 at 8:04 AM, bagwell1987 said:

I'm so impressed with this. Have to admit I was nervous to bring it up, in my community of people I'm looked at like I'm weird or something. Some people even call my ferments 'rotten' food. Boy they don't know what they're missing.

I'd like to know more about apfelwein, it's apple season now. Another thing I need to order is an apple press (for just juice), do you have to use a press to make it?

I haven't done red cabbage, it tends to be a bit bitter to me. But maybe fermenting it changes that.

I really want to hear more about what you ferment and the recipes you use. That goes for you too Gary. 

I'm doing kimchi in the next few weeks but right now it's 2 half gallon jars of sauerkraut. I can eat it all the time! 

Oh do you men drink the ferment juice. I do. Small amounts each day till gone.

Do you cook your sauerkraut? I do but only to 180 degrees F.

Yeah, sometimes people don't understand... Being a 30 year vegetarian, I have become accustomed to people "not understanding" and thinking I am weird, maybe I am. I (maybe unfortunately) "march to the beat of my own drum" so yeah, I understand.

I do not press apples. I would love to do more "manually", but time does not allow. I just buy good apple juice, add sugar and yeast and voila... apfelwein.

I am wanting to try to do some red cabbage, maybe next project. But then again, I want to try just adding a bunch of vegetables... carrots, garlic, celery, maybe some turnips, or whatever else I can think of...

I am always watching YouTube videos to get ideas.

If you want to do some Apfelwein, PM me for some more specific instructions.

• 1 month later...

I've just began to make my own red wine. Giving it a go!

Tried the simpilist way.

-Took a couple of bunches of red grapes, pour boiling water to wash them (the best to use are said to be actual wine grapes, but table grapes work too, it will just be weaker)

-Put in a blender for a quick spin, but trying to keep the skins entact as much as possible (makes for better wine if you do this).

-Pour it into a sterile glass container

-Mix in lots of honey

-Add the yeast, activated in water

-Shake up the container, swish it around

-Seal the top with a balloon, with some holes in made from pins to let out the C02 whilst not letting outside air get to it

-Leave for at least a month, the balloon will defalte when it's done, but age as wanted. Stir it around every day as it's fermenting

-Near the end, sieve out the contents to seperate the wine from the skins into a new glass container

-Add in some eggwhite and put it in the fridge for a while to remove the cloudiness and acidity quicker

-Bottle it

Edited by EccentricM

• 4 weeks later...

Today is the day I sieve my wine and begin to fine it to make it clear. The fining stage has started now, but I just tried some of it... man, better than I was expecting. Only a sip, but... even as "prison wine" it's good. If you had not told me it was mine, I would have thought it was from the store. And a good wine from the store at that.

Judging by the colour due to the grapes I've used, it will most likely be a "rose wine".

Edited by EccentricM

2 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Today is the day I sieve my wine and begin to fine it to make it clear. The fining stage has started now, but I just tried some of it... man, better than I was expecting. Only a sip, but... even as "prison wine" it's good. If you had not told me it was mine, I would have thought it was from the store. And a good wine from the store at that.

Judging by the colour due to the grapes I've used, it will most likely be a "rose wine".

That's really nice; my Mother used to grow and sell strawberries on a farm and made her own strawberry wine..it was very good. 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

That's really nice; my Mother used to grow and sell strawberries on a farm and made her own strawberry wine..it was very good. 
That reminds me of the great beach parties we had when I was young. We'd always have plenty of Boones farm "strawberry hill" and "tickled pink". For a dollar a bottle you couldn't go wrong. :)

26 minutes ago, Musky said:

That reminds me of the great beach parties we had when I was young. We'd always have plenty of Boones farm "strawberry hill" and "tickled pink". For a dollar a bottle you couldn't go wrong. :)

Nice names..:)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

43 minutes ago, Musky said:

Anne Green Springs :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Not sure it fits the category but I am doing a 48 hour cold ferment dough for NY style pizza

Oh NICE! Love that.

11 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Wish you lived in my area, I'd drink that! Sweet!

Hey Gary, what's the method to that "fermenting" madness! This is new to me!

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

Well, fining done, this is the end result. Only a small batch for testing purposes, but will drink some later and see what it's like. Doesn't smell as strong as it did before fining, but that's what the proccess does, will have to get the balance right with experimentation if it's too weak, but we'll see!

46496085_2009773682660152_26297671491654

3 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Well, fining done, this is the end result. Only a small batch for testing purposes, but will drink some later and see what it's like. Doesn't smell as strong as it did before fining, but that's what the proccess does, will have to get the balance right with experimentation if it's too weak, but we'll see!

46496085_2009773682660152_26297671491654

Looks good...nice to know you have something healthy without nitrites, nitrates, et..

How was the wine?

Have you already consumed all of it?

I have considered making some mead - but, it is a rather long and somewhat involved process so I am not sure I want to venture into something I most likely would not drink.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

How was the wine?

Have you already consumed all of it?

I have considered making some mead - but, it is a rather long and somewhat involved process so I am not sure I want to venture into something I most likely would not drink.

Tasted good! The last bit I had today had me a bit buzzing, lol. But yeah, only a small ammount was made.

This time I'm making two large bottles of mead. Pretty simple, just honey, water and yeast, let it ferment for a time. I've put a bit less yeast in this time, as I did too much before, which is why my wine was still very cloudy after fining. 7g I used, and usually a whole pack can do a gallon, lol. I didn't realise. 

Edited by EccentricM