JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Where Did the Philistines Come From?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2036 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A nearly 4-foot-tall, two-horned altar from the site of Tell es-Safi (Gath of the Philistines) suggests the origins of the Philistines are to be sought in the Aegean world...

Where Did the Philistines Come From? (Biblical Archaeology Society)

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

w95 2/1 p. 31 QFR:

"The Bible indicates that the ancient Philistines migrated from Caphtor to the southwestern coast of Canaan. (Jeremiah 47:4) Where was Caphtor? The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1979) notes: “Although the evidence does not permit a definitive solution, current scholarship points to the island of Crete (or perhaps Crete plus the Aegean Isles, which culturally belong together) as by far the most probable site.”—Volume 1, page 610

"In line with this, the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures reads at Amos 9:7: “‘Are you not like the sons of the Cushites to me, O sons of Israel?’ is the utterance of Jehovah. ‘Did I not bring Israel itself up out of the land of Egypt, and the Philistines out of Crete, and Syria out of Kir?’”

"It is not known when this ancient sea people migrated from Crete to the section of Canaan that came to be called Philistia, the southwestern coastline between Joppa and Gaza. They seem to have already been in this region of low coastal plains in the days of Abraham and Isaac."—Genesis 20:1, 2; 21:32-34; 26:1-18.

Edited by minister159

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley