JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Songs for grief

Hi all

I am making a sister a compilation CD of songs from the Chorus version of "Sing out joyfully"

Her husband died a while ago and she gets sad.  She likes to hear the music in her car on CD player.  So the latest compilation I want to do is for grief.

What songs have helped you all the most?

The ending of the" he will call "chorus version song took my breath away. 

I know "Jehovah is my shepherd"

That's all I got.  I need more!  So what songs help you all?

Lanna

Well if you want her to pull off the side of the road and cry ... “He will call and I will answer”    ... would be one in my opinion...  I choke up and start to cry every time that is played .. I can get through the first verse and that is it...

Jehovah is my shepherd is great .... anything that will lift one’s spirit...

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

2 hours ago, pixie93 said:

Hi all

I am making a sister a compilation CD of songs from the Chorus version of "Sing out joyfully"

Her husband died a while ago and she gets sad.  She likes to hear the music in her car on CD player.  So the latest compilation I want to do is for grief.

What songs have helped you all the most?

The ending of the" he will call "chorus version song took my breath away. 

I know "Jehovah is my shepherd"

That's all I got.  I need more!  So what songs help you all?

Lanna

I love making music CDs/USBs for the friends!  You're doing a lovely thing... but I'm wondering, why would you want to do one "for grief"?  Very often, the songs most often sung at funerals bring people to tears. I don't think I'd want to hear songs just for that purpose.

Maybe more effective would be just random great songs from our songbook - don't forget our Original Songs, too!  Music has a way of bringing emotions up or distracting us from other emotions.  A random selection might be more cheery, spiritual tunes.  Just a suggestion  :) 

Songs 4, 20, 41, 44, 118, 136, 141, 145, 146, 151. Also, the instrumental versions of song 3 and 44 are amazing.

Original songs might be encouraging too. Imagine the Time, Our Thanks Go to You, Just Around the Corner, Your World Endures Forever, Inspired by Your Wonders, Confident in You, Never Alone, Do Not Be Afraid.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Hope said:

I love making music CDs/USBs for the friends!  You're doing a lovely thing... but I'm wondering, why would you want to do one "for grief"?  Very often, the songs most often sung at funerals bring people to tears. I don't think I'd want to hear songs just for that purpose.

Maybe more effective would be just random great songs from our songbook - don't forget our Original Songs, too!  Music has a way of bringing emotions up or distracting us from other emotions.  A random selection might be more cheery, spiritual tunes.  Just a suggestion  :) 

Good question,

I have already made CD compilations 2 of original songs, 2 of kid songs, 1 of chorus songs with all relaxing songs.  

I even made a CD for my dad and ones in Spanish hall, songs in English, and then in Spanish.  My dad wants to learn original songs in Spanish.

But I need another chorus CD.  So you are right.  I will just do encouraging chorus songs.

Thank you all.

13 minutes ago, pixie93 said:

Good question,

I have already made CD compilations 2 of original songs, 2 of kid songs, 1 of chorus songs with all relaxing songs.  

I even made a CD for my dad and ones in Spanish hall, songs in English, and then in Spanish.  My dad wants to learn original songs in Spanish.

But I need another chorus CD.  So you are right.  I will just do encouraging chorus songs.

Thank you all.

If you're doing music for car listening, maybe putting songs onto a USB drive would work well?  If the car is new enough (2010 and up, I'd think?), there's usually one.  Even an 8g usb will hold ALL of our songs (vocal/instrumental/Original), the Bible readings and all the talks/morning worships we have in mp3 format.  

That's what I use in my car; I've got well over 700 songs (and that's not including the secular music I have on there, as well!), all 40 available Bible books, over 300 talks, etc.  I like not having to deal with so many CDs all over the place, getting scratched, etc.  It's a great option, if you can do that! :D 

16 hours ago, Hope said:

If you're doing music for car listening, maybe putting songs onto a USB drive would work well?  If the car is new enough (2010 and up, I'd think?), there's usually one.  Even an 8g usb will hold ALL of our songs (vocal/instrumental/Original), the Bible readings and all the talks/morning worships we have in mp3 format.  

That's what I use in my car; I've got well over 700 songs (and that's not including the secular music I have on there, as well!), all 40 available Bible books, over 300 talks, etc.  I like not having to deal with so many CDs all over the place, getting scratched, etc.  It's a great option, if you can do that! :D 

I hear you, I like to listen to music for certain moods.  I absolutely love all of the chorus songs with individual singers.

I love slower songs when I am stressed.  If a fast kingdom song would come on while I am stressed out it would make my headache or panic feeling worse.

So, I can not put it all on and hope for the best.

Plus I really spend hours of calming time sorting thru the genre of each song.

For example.

I did finish her CD with the following relaxing encouraging songs.  And I asked her about 151.  She loves it.  What they did at the end of that song gives me goosebumps.

Songs as follows:. 4, 8, 19, 20, 35, 37, 40,43,55,60,88,103,112,114,121,127,151

This is after I made last chorus CD 1st song was 44 instrumental all the rest chorus

17,28,34,50,72,78,87,89,90,91,96,97,115,116,123,132,141,145,146,148,44chorus version 44 at end

48 minutes ago, pixie93 said:

I hear you, I like to listen to music for certain moods.  I absolutely love all of the chorus songs with individual singers.

I love slower songs when I am stressed.  If a fast kingdom song would come on while I am stressed out it would make my headache or panic feeling worse.

So, I can not put it all on and hope for the best.

Plus I really spend hours of calming time sorting thru the genre of each song.

For example.

I did finish her CD with the following relaxing encouraging songs.  And I asked her about 151.  She loves it.  What they did at the end of that song gives me goosebumps.

Songs as follows:. 4, 8, 19, 20, 35, 37, 40,43,55,60,88,103,112,114,121,127,151

This is after I made last chorus CD 1st song was 44 instrumental all the rest chorus

17,28,34,50,72,78,87,89,90,91,96,97,115,116,123,132,141,145,146,148,44chorus version 44 at end

One way to prevent that is put your songs in various folders on the USB with whatever genre designation you like and select the "Calm" folder for those moods.  You can still have all the music available but sorted how you like it.  I only have mine sorted by Kingdom Melodies Instrumental or Vocals.  I love not knowing what song might come up next on shuffle... or I can easily listen to the Original Songs, since the don't have numbers in front of them.. 😉 

I know the sister is very happy with your work!  ❤️ It's the only way we're gonna learn these tunes by heart - listening over and over!

On 1/14/2019 at 2:47 PM, Lance said:

Well if you want her to pull off the side of the road and cry ... “He will call and I will answer”    ... would be one in my opinion...  I choke up and start to cry every time that is played .. I can get through the first verse and that is it...

Jehovah is my shepherd is great .... anything that will lift one’s spirit...

Please re listen to the newest version of "He will Call". 151 It was released a month ago.    They changed it up so much.  It's more faith strengthening now she said than sad.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Lanna