JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

GN Brochure with videos on Lib App

Since a few days we have in the German version of JW Library App the GN Brochure with videos.
My sad experience today with my bible study: Couldn't start the video ("What Is the Condition of the Dead?")
directly out of the brochure! Need internet connection!

It doesn't work neither I played the video before at home (by wifi).

I thought if I play the video at home, the file will be saved automatically on my tablet (Android). 🤔😕

Any explanation?

When i download the video then I can play it without an Internet connection. Experiment at home by putting your device into Airplane mode after you download the media.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

22 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

When i download the video then I can play it without an Internet connection. Experiment at home by putting your device into Airplane mode after you download the media.

I tried this in both English and Spanish pubs and I still get a message saying no internet connection. The workaround would be to tap on Multimedia and play the downloaded video there. That's no fun though. :D

9 minutes ago, leoperales said:

I tried this in both English and Spanish pubs and I still get a message saying no internet connection. The workaround would be to tap on Multimedia and play the downloaded video there. That's no fun though. :D

I don't like workarounds. 😎 I prefer the original purpose 🤓

18 minutes ago, leoperales said:

It works for me every time.

Open Chapter 2, go to Media and ensure the video is downloaded.  Close the brochure. Put your device in Airplane mode, open the brochure,  go to chapter 2, go to Media, play the video.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It works for me every time.

Open Chapter 2, go to Media and ensure the video is downloaded.  Close the brochure. Put your device in Airplane mode, open the brochure,  go to chapter 2, go to Media, play the video.

Well yes, if you go through Media. I was referring to tapping on the embedded video. That's what needs an internet connection, but you're accessing it via "the workaround" too. :uhhuh:

IMG_1109 (Edited).PNG

5 minutes ago, leoperales said:

Well yes, if you go through Media. I was referring to tapping on the embedded video. That's what needs an internet connection, but you're accessing it via "the workaround" too. :uhhuh:

IMG_1109 (Edited).PNG

I was following the original instructions on jw.org....

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I was following the original instructions on jw.org....

Where is the original instruction to use the GN Brochure?
I just know this:

Videos Now Embedded in Good News Brochure

Digital editions of the brochure Good News From God! on jw.org and in the JW Library app now include videos that supplement the material. If you have already downloaded the Good News brochure in JW Library, go to PUBLICATIONS > PENDING UPDATES to download the latest version with embedded videos.

I can't believe that there is any instruction saying: Don't tap on the embedded video. 😉

The original announcement on jw.org included this line so that's how I have played the videos, however it appears they should play from the link and they don't...

To watch the videos even while offline, open the Good News brochure in JW Library and tap the Download Media button in the top right corner of the screen.

8 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The original announcement on jw.org included this line so that's how I have played the videos, however it appears they should play from the link and they don't...

To watch the videos even while offline, open the Good News brochure in JW Library and tap the Download Media button in the top right corner of the screen.

🤔 Well, that is what I’m referring to “the workaround”, so I guess it’s not a “workaround” after all. 😅

Just now, leoperales said:

🤔 Well, that is what I’m referring to “the workaround”, so I guess it’s not a “workaround” after all. 😅

Welll... its possible I misunderstood the instructions and they just wanted to ensure the video was downloaded so the link would work. However,  the page link doesn't work for me either. 

11 minutes ago, fibrecat said:

I can't believe that there is any instruction saying: Don't tap on the embedded video. 😉

I know. What confusion this has caused. :lol1: 

Are you reading this here GN brochure embedded video developers? :blush:

Just now, Tortuga said:

Welll... its possible I misunderstood the instructions and they just wanted to ensure the video was downloaded so the link would work. However,  the page link doesn't work for me either. 

Yep, we are on the same page now. :rockon:

Ok, open the Good News brochure in JW Library and tapped the 3dots (Android!) in the top right corner of the screen.
Then I tapped the video (with cloud symbol) and choosed the video quality (resolution) 720p. --> Download

After this the video was playing.
Switching to Airplane mode, the video doesn't play anymore.

😐

Edited by fibrecat

correction

3 minutes ago, fibrecat said:

Ok, open the Good News brochure in JW Library and tapped the 3dots (Android!) in the top right corner of the screen.
Then I tapped the video (with cloud symbol) and choosed the video quality (resolution) 720p. --> Download

After this the video was playing.
Switching to Airplane mode, the video doesn't play anymore.

😐

Yep, you are now on the same page as Torguga and myself. :mellow:

32 minutes ago, fibrecat said:

Is this the right way to address a bug? Any experience?

android.JPG

Yep, that's the one. Although, I honestly don't think it's a bug. I think the original intention was to "stream" the video from the embedded window.

My experience when reporting using this link is that the developers don't correspond with you, but rather, they just work out any bugs in the next update or correct the publication in a publication update.