JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sauna culture in Scandinavia

This is a question from a sister that I told her I would ask here.... 

So, my Scandinavian friends, what do you wear (or not wear) in the sauna? As nudity appears to be very much culturally acceptable, how do Witnesses handle this?

Thanks,

Sylvie

This is a question from a sister that I told her I would ask here.... 

So, my Scandinavian friends, what do you wear (or not wear) in the sauna? As nudity appears to be very much culturally acceptable, how do Witnesses handle this?

Thanks,
Sylvie

Some might wear a towel, sometimes swimsuits. Other times, nothing. It’s like going naked into a community shower. It’s not a big deal, but it’s very nice and comfortable.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

We too have Scandinavian saunas. In the olden days, everyone would go around naked in a public sauna, but 9ver the last 5 years, people have started to use towels to cover up their private parts. They only expose themselves in the steam room. So brothers have issues with this and just use towels. 

I think the change is due to the influence of the West. People are now more aware of homosexuality and do not feel comfortable among naked men. 

We too have Scandinavian saunas. In the olden days, everyone would go around naked in a public sauna, but 9ver the last 5 years, people have started to use towels to cover up their private parts. They only expose themselves in the steam room. So brothers have issues with this and just use towels. 

I think the change is due to the influence of the West. People are now more aware of homosexuality and do not feel comfortable among naked men. 

This is sad, though, since it has nothing to with sexuality, but rather with hygiene and health.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Are the saunas mixed gender, or men or women only?

Usually single gender only, but that differs from place to place. All ages, all sorts of bodies, faults and all.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Japan is like this too.  In their onsen, it is usually single sex, and you much go naked after washing yourself.  No hair is allowed to touch the water, and you just sit and relax in the scrumptiously hot water.  As I'm not comfortable with public nakedness, I visited the onsens at midnight.  Enjoyed it thoroughly, and in private.😁

Public saunas are always separate for men and women in our region. Private ones can be mixed, especially if it is an orgy party. At least that is what I hear.

Orgy party? Never heard of that here. There used to be clubs that arranged heterosexual or homosexual ‘sauna clubs’ though, but they were completely off-limits to non-members, and are not what people think about when they think about saunas. Every good public bath has a sauna, as well as gyms. Even bethel had saunas.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Orgy party? Never heard of that here. There used to be clubs that arranged heterosexual or homosexual ‘sauna clubs’ though, but they were completely off-limits to non-members, and are not what people think about when they think about saunas. Every good public bath has a sauna, as well as gyms. Even bethel had saunas.

Yes, despite being a relatively conservative region, there are some men who are up to no good. They use private saunas to spend time with friends and often they hire prostitutes. 

Yes, despite being a relatively conservative region, there are some men who are up to no good. They use private saunas to spend time with friends and often they hire prostitutes. 

Interesting. Private saunas? So you can’t just walk into it?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

6 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Interesting. Private saunas? So you can’t just walk into it?

I think you can, but you still need to arrange a time with the owner.

Private saunas have become notorious for being a place of business deals, orgies and other shady stuff. But of course, people also go there with friends just to wash themselves and chill over a few bottles of beer and shish kebabs. 

I personally would only go to public saunas, which are actually privately run too, but they are often large buildings that are open to anyone. They are more like a leisure center that has its own mini cinema, massage parlours, bars and other facilities.