JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Accents and how people regard them

As we all know, all languages are spoken with accents. I wanted to see what accents you find or are thought to be attractive and what they can say about the speaker. Are their any preconceived biases or stereotypes with certain accents in your country or region? 

It would be great to know not only about English, but also the other languages. 

If you had a chance, would you change your accent?

Also, do you think we will have accents in the new world? 

Edited by Bek

Even after 17 years many can tell my wife has an American accent.

Now if she is in southern Missouri Arkansas area within 20 minutes or so they locals think she is a local.

If she speaks to our daughter in Newfoundland within less than an hour she has picked up some Newfie accent and mannerisms of speech.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

When I speak English, I often get asked if I have lived in the UK. I have not been to the UK, but I did live with Brits for about 3-4 years in my early 20s.

There was a time though when I picked up an Aussie accent from a friend. I find the Aussie accents the most contagious. :)

My former boss was a US lady and no matter how much time I spent with her and other American colleagues, their accents just would not stick. I don't know why. 

Edited by Bek

Accents I love hearing speak English:

Pretty much any UK / Irish accent  :wub:

Italian

French

Most African language accents

Australian & New Zealand - both sound so friendly... and Kiwi has that little "cheeky" swing to it

Indian accents by women more than by men  🤷‍♀️

NY/Brooklyn accents by men more than by women 🤷‍♀️

*SOME* Southern US accents - not too red-neckish... 😕 

I'm not as fond of most Asian accents  :( 

Persian  ❤️

1 hour ago, Bek said:

My former boss was a US lady and no matter how much time I spent with her and other American colleagues, their accents just would not stick. I don't know why. 

My wife picks up accents Except British English 😬

She even picked up Lakota Sioux with good pronunciation.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

2 hours ago, Hope said:

Accents I love hearing speak English:

Pretty much any UK / Irish accent  :wub:

Italian

French

Most African language accents

Australian & New Zealand - both sound so friendly... and Kiwi has that little "cheeky" swing to it

Indian accents by women more than by men  🤷‍♀️

NY/Brooklyn accents by men more than by women 🤷‍♀️

*SOME* Southern US accents - not too red-neckish... 😕 

I'm not as fond of most Asian accents  :( 

Persian  ❤️

How could I forget my Latin loves!  

Colombian

Peruvian

Argentinian

Puerto Rican

Also:  Trinidadian, Barbados, Jamaican (not too much patois flavor, tho)

As we all know, all languages are spoken with accents. I wanted to see what accents you find or are thought to be attractive and what they can say about the speaker. Are their any preconceived biases or stereotypes with certain accents in your country or region? 

It would be great to know not only about English, but also the other languages. 

If you had a chance, would you change your accent?

Also, do you think we will have accents in the new world? 

I'd love an Italian accent if that meant I was fluent in Italian! :D  Of English language accents, I wouldn't mind a Dublin or South London accent

I believe there will be at least regional accents in the New World, even if we're all speaking the same basic language.  Language has a way of changing over time (perfect or not, I believe) and we all talk pretty much like the people we live around.  There may be words some use in one part of the world that are not used in other parts because those same animals, plants, geographical features, etc are not there.  Changes to language and accent may very well occur as people move around and move back.  It will be interesting to see.