JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Engine oiled dishes

Weird title for this forum I know but.. I was out with my wife in the city and we were hungry and going to be sometime before e got home. 

Both of us hungry. We saw a McDonalds and a 'bargain' bacon burger. We never frequent fast food places :generally because of cost. But on this occasion and being very hungry.. Relented. 

Wow what a strange reaction on the early evening. Upper body feeling very irritable verging on actual pain. Even my shirt irritated me. Decided to just try drinking a lot of water.. It went over night. 

We have a very stable diet (boring?) with most of our food roasted.. Nothing fried.. 

Seems a strange coincidence if nothing to do with the 'bargain' burger.. Too different a food for us perhaps. Put me off ever trying again that's for sure. 

Not a well oiled dish.. Engine oil perhaps? 

Ideas? 

https://www.eatthis.com/mcdonalds-foods-employees-wont-eat/

McDonald’s might not be known as a pinnacle of health, but it is a pinnacle of deliciousness. And for those days you’re too tired to cook or just want something quick and easy to eat, the fast food chain can be a lifesaver. But it’s worth noting that there are some menu items even Mickey D employees won’t eat.

Iced Soda

This is a tough one to swallow, especially if you love getting a fountain drink with your burger or nuggets. It’s not an issue that’s specific to McDonald’s, but a number of self-identified restaurant workers on Reddit have claimed that ice machines are cleaned rarely, if ever. It’s best to just hold the ice.

Chicken Nuggets

“I used to work at McDonald’s. If you order, especially chicken nuggets, just ask for them fresh. Otherwise, they’ve been just sitting in their container in the heat,” the person wrote. “They have a timer, but 9/10 times when that timer goes off, people just reset the timer instead of making new ones. This could go on until all the nuggets are sold.”

Filet-O-Fish

...What might be a more compelling reason to choose a different option, though, is that you might not get a fresh one because it’s a less-popular item.

“When I worked at McDonald’s the filet of fish was never ordered. We had to make them at 11 when lunch started and had the same ones in the tray until the elderly people came to get their supper at 3 P.M. Then replace them and we threw away those same ones when we closed,” one self-identified McDonald’s employee wrote. “Never order them.”

Of course, you can avoid this situation by asking for your Filet-O-Fish cooked to order.

Small Burger Patties

“The small patties. Yea…the ones that come on your double cheeseburgers and big macs. Those things come off of the grill still red with blood and then we would shove them in the trays where they would stay for hours,” the employee wrote. Another McDonald’s employee wrote on Quora that there’s “a very good chance your beef hasn’t been cooked 100%.”

Ketchup from Dispensers

“Don’t use the ketchup dispensers! Who knows when the bags were last changed (if it’s one of those fancier, below-the-counter ones),” one McDonald’s employee wrote on Quora. “With the simple, little boxy dispensers, the ketchup is dumped into another container, the parts and bits of the dispenser are washed, and then the ketchup is put back into the newly-cleaned dispenser. Clean device, old ketchup.”

And if you needed another reason to avoid ketchup dispensers, this story will do the trick. One customer at a McDonald’s in England claimed she saw maggots living in a ketchup dispenser

Grilled Chicken

There’s no guarantee that your chicken is actually being cooked fresh on a grill.

“Grilled Chicken is almost always the least fresh product you can order,” one former McDonald’s manager wrote on Quora. “It can sit in the heating cabinets for hours and will still be served.”

Another employee wrote on Reddit that the grilled chicken sits out for way longer than it should. They wrote that while the grilled chicken “has a shelf time of about 30 minutes,” they’d seen it sitting out for as long as five hours

Sorry about your ordeal but the odds are you ate something that is not fresh or there were some additives that didn't agree with you. That may have been the cause for your rash. Next time I will be wary of eating something that is on a bargain. Possibly the slices of bacon were cooked in large batches and left to languish for too long. 

Once I stupidly bought a burger from Burger King close to closing time and had a bad case of food poisoning. One cannot be too careful when eating out. 

Edited by M'Awan