JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Good video cameras

I am slowly developing interest in videograpy for personal use only.

I have GoPro7 (audio not so great)  and Canon80D and Nikon 610 *full frame -which I don't like it.

Canon 80D suppose to have duel focus, which is especially valuable for video, but in my practical tests results were not as great.

What equipment do you use for video? (good focus and stabilization)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 2 months later...

I have two older Sony FDR AS20’s and have recently purchased a Sony FDR X3000. It shoots 4k, but am happy with 1080p 60fps. I use it for personal use and use Final Cut Pro X for editing. The X3000 is “water resistant”, and comes with a waterproof case for under water shots. I thought about going for GoPro, however, I like the form-factor and have it side-mounted on my helmet.

6 hours ago, nzbeeker said:

I have two older Sony FDR AS20’s and have recently purchased a Sony FDR X3000. It shoots 4k, but am happy with 1080p 60fps. I use it for personal use and use Final Cut Pro X for editing. The X3000 is “water resistant”, and comes with a waterproof case for under water shots. I thought about going for GoPro, however, I like the form-factor and have it side-mounted on my helmet.

I like 24 frames best, have you tried more cinematic 24frames rate? 

I shoot over 100 frames if I want to slow down the action

I just checked your Sony camera and it supports 24p. 

Edited by New World Explorer

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, nzbeeker said:

No, I haven’t. I see that many prefer 24fps. Most of my videos are on a moving motorcycle, so use a faster frame rate because thing are moving quickly around me. Thank you for your comment.

Yep, there is many who adore 24frames, but moving motorcycle is a different story, yes you need variety of frames for different scenarios. 

Yes 60 frames is ideal for you.

Have you ever used Pinnacle 23 ultimate to edit ? 

1 hour ago, nzbeeker said:

No I haven’t.  I have a 2012 Mac Mini for Final Cut Pro X. My Wife (Ice Wolf on here...) has a PC with Da Vinci Resolve on it, but haven’t used that yet. 

I heard good stuff about Da Vinci R,

Do you mind asking your wife if she tried video stabilization on it,  and with what results?

No, she doesn’t use it... I put it there for if I give PC editing a go. I am very happy with Final Cut. I supported Windows in various IT environments from 1997 - 2010. I very reluctantly purchased an iMac around 2008, and never looked back. I like using a Mac and like using final cut. I gave had a look at Da Vinci resolve, but still not used it.  I have 200+ videos sitting on YouTube, but all on Final Cut. A few of the early ones are from iMovie.

28 minutes ago, nzbeeker said:

No, she doesn’t use it... I put it there for if I give PC editing a go. I am very happy with Final Cut. I supported Windows in various IT environments from 1997 - 2010. I very reluctantly purchased an iMac around 2008, and never looked back. I like using a Mac and like using final cut. I gave had a look at Da Vinci resolve, but still not used it.  I have 200+ videos sitting on YouTube, but all on Final Cut. A few of the early ones are from iMovie.

Interface on Da vinci intimidates me ...    never had Apple computer, but many people use Final Cut, I am to invested in windows environment ...

17 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Have you ever used Pinnacle 23 ultimate to edit ? 

I've used Pinnacle Studio since ver 8.  I am really enjoying ver 23U.  Are you a member of the pinnacle user Forum? A lot of good tips and problems solved there and the Facebook pages.

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/242/ShowForum.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1011713315625712/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pinnaclestudio/

https://www.facebook.com/StudioBacklot/

Training Videos

https://studiobacklot.tv/studio23/

https://www.youtube.com/user/PinnacleStudioLife/videos

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

6 hours ago, rocket said:

I've used Pinnacle Studio since ver 8.  I am really enjoying ver 23U.  Are you a member of the pinnacle user Forum? A lot of good tips and problems solved there and the Facebook pages.

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/242/ShowForum.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1011713315625712/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pinnaclestudio/

https://www.facebook.com/StudioBacklot/

Training Videos

https://studiobacklot.tv/studio23/

https://www.youtube.com/user/PinnacleStudioLife/videos

I am extremely new to Pinnacle 23 Ultimate, happy to learn as I am sticking with it for now. (All my other software is windows based, not ready to go for Final Cut etc) 

Thanks for the links, will explore the forums and videos. 

Thank you 

All NLE software has bugs that need worked out and PSU23 is no exception. First software update/patch is but weeks away and is sometimes only posted in the User Forum. If your computer barley meets the requirements one might expect to see more crashes.  Crashes are common no matter how high end the computer and something one just has to get used to. I have never failed to finish a project but i learned early to save often. In complex projects I will export small portions and then put them together for a final export. I work mostly with 1080p but also 4k for some projects requiring high zoom.

I find the freeware ImgBurn is far superior for burning Disc, either DVD, Blu-ray or Data disc.  It has a VERIFY setting that is quite valuable in that it verifies the copy to be exact to the VIDEO_TS file.

I also find Prodad Mercalli4.0 to be a superior stabilizing software.

10 minutes ago, rocket said:

I also find Prodad Mercalli4.0 to be a superior stabilizing software.

The problem...:wall: 492.57 AUD

I have renamed the software to "dad have mercy on me" .... and charge less LOL :facepalmpo2:

It's very expensive...  our weak dollar makes any purchase from USA expensive.

16 minutes ago, rocket said:

All NLE software has bugs that need worked out and PSU23 is no exception. First software update/patch is but weeks away and is sometimes only posted in the User Forum.

I can live with it and save project often :yes:

No choice anyway, already running software (have not done any projects yet..perhaps this weekend)

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

The problem...:wall: 492.57 AUD

I have renamed the software to "dad have mercy on me" .... and charge less LOL :facepalmpo2:

It's very expensive...  our weak dollar makes any purchase from USA expensive.

I think it was PSU ver. 10 or 12 that had free Prodad ver.1 Vitascene and Ver.1 Mercalli in a bundle. From that it was much cheaper to upgrade. It becomes a headache if I have to reinstall to a new computer however.

I would really encourage one to digest as many tutorials as possible as one can get stumped and frustrated in no time.

One simple lesson, when one gets a crash, go to your task manager/processes and end the 'process tree' of NGStudio.exe. If you don't see NGStudio.exe in the listed processes then there is no problem. The program will not restart until NGStudio.exe and all render apps are ended. Ending the process tree will usually end all Render Apps.

6 hours ago, rocket said:

I would really encourage one to digest as many tutorials as possible as one can get stumped and frustrated in no time.

I am second guessing video editing ..:facepalmpo2:perhaps I go, and watch Murdoch Mysteries instead? LOL :lol1:

7 hours ago, rocket said:

One simple lesson, when one gets a crash, go to your task manager/processes and end the 'process tree' of NGStudio.exe. If you don't see NGStudio.exe in the listed processes then there is no problem. The program will not restart until NGStudio.exe and all render apps are ended. Ending the process tree will usually end all Render Apps.

Big thanks! --- really appreciated. :D

23 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I heard good stuff about Da Vinci R,

Do you mind asking your wife if she tried video stabilization on it,  and with what results?

She doesn’t use it. I just put it there intending to check it out, but like using Final Cut. My Mac Mini is seven years old and hasn’t given me any trouble.  Is slowing down a bit, but going ok.  I have published a little over 200 vids, but learning new stuff all the time.

21 minutes ago, nzbeeker said:

She doesn’t use it. I just put it there intending to check it out, but like using Final Cut. My Mac Mini is seven years old and hasn’t given me any trouble.  Is slowing down a bit, but going ok.  I have published a little over 200 vids, but learning new stuff all the time.

I am novice when it comes to video editing ... yes, I watched some of your videos on You Tube ..they are good! :thumbsup:

I have a long way to learn ... hmm

I am learning how to introduce the video with my logo against moving background

Looking for good background videos ...

On 9/24/2019 at 8:18 AM, rocket said:

All NLE software has bugs that need worked out and PSU23 is no exception.

Requested refund, the software is a huge disappointment ..very very unstable - crushing when importing short simple video ...

Will look for something better.

Very disappointing. :wall:

15 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Requested refund, the software is a huge disappointment ..very very unstable - crushing when importing short simple video ...

Will look for something better.

Very disappointing. :wall:

Sorry it didn't workout for you. I've never had a problem importing or exporting. I've never not finished a project. On my system it works fine.

2 minutes ago, rocket said:

Sorry it didn't workout for you. I've never had a problem importing or exporting. I've never not finished a project. On my system it works fine.

Perhaps the "fault" rest on my computer parts, but i run i7intel processor 8 cores ... plenty of memory etc..etc... 

I will play with software this afternoon ..again

9 hours ago, nzbeeker said:

I have issues with bad audio.

Is this in relation to the video camera or wife telling you to do something? LOL :facepalmpo2:

12 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Perhaps the "fault" rest on my computer parts, but i run i7intel processor 8 cores ... plenty of memory etc..etc... 

I will play with software this afternoon ..again

Is this in relation to the video camera or wife telling you to do something? LOL :facepalmpo2:

No, its wind noise/interference. I record from my helmet cam and have a microphone in my helmet. The wind noise can take over and dominate the audio. In the arena I operate in, in this regard; this is very very common. There is a work around, but will need to save for a bit.

22 minutes ago, rocket said:

24 minutes ago, rocket said:

Are you using Windows or Mac? I am using Final Cut, and dont have many issues.