JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Talk: (5 min. or less) w04 5/1 19-20 ¶3-7—Theme: How Were Certain Christians “a Strengthening Aid” to Paul? (Col 4:11, ftn.) (th study 7)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1768 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

“I know several people who rose in their employment far beyond what their qualifications and education would have seemed to permit. When I investigated, I found that it was because they had deliberately made themselves indispensable. 

“Aw, man, I can’t believe I left my parchments at my apartment,” someone would say. He (or she) would volunteer to get it. “Rats, I left my cloak in the car,” another would say. “I’ll get it,” was his reply.

Of course, those are Bible examples from 2 Tim 4:13, the gist of such will be revisited presently. What they would actually volunteer for is some pain-in-the-neck spreadsheet that had to be done but nobody wanted to do it.

So it is that five obscure characters rose in the ranks in the apostle Paul’s eyes. “Only these are my fellow workers,” he says of Tychicus, Onesimus, Aristarchus, Mark, and Justus, almost as though they formed a cabal. He describes them as a “strengthening aid” (“source of great comfort” - 2013 NWT) and the Greek root word is peregoria, used only once in scripture, which generally has medicinal connotations, hence the two acceptable renderings. Going back several decades, there was the English ‘peregoric,’ an over-the-counter medicine. It had opium in it. It was good for whatever ailed you.

Paul comes across as almost superhuman in his endurance—recall Mark Sanderson at the Gilead gradation referring to the list at 2 Corinthians 11:23 and observing that just one of those experiences would have floored most of us—yet he surely could have used “strengthening” from time to time. Like when enemies try to pin the charge of ‘sedition’ on him—as they did with Jesus—as they have done with Jehovah’s people today—and, far from according him respect as a driving force of an important religion, dismiss him as a “pest” promoting a “sect.” (Acts 24:5)

If someone is described that way—especially if they are under (house) arrest, as was Paul—there is a tendency to keep one’s distance, lest the unsavory accusations rub off. If someone is charged with sedition, you think twice before you say, “That’s my buddy!” If someone is written off as a “pest,” you show whose esteem you are trying to court by whether you identify with that person or not.

Similarly, “they will say every sort of [wicked] thing about you,” Jesus says of his disciples. And ‘if you see how they treat me, then you know how they will treat you.’ (Matthew 5:11, John 15:20) There is a tendency to back away from anyone of whom “every sort of wicked thing” is said, and these five cabal Christians would not do it. It is hard not to think of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia right now. As some are being led off to courts and imprisonment, after having personal property confiscated, their brothers, far from laying low, are publicly identifying with them. There is even a scene somewhere of the friends clapping in the aftermath of a trial, as the “guilty” member is being led away. It plays a little odd from a distance, but the idea is to recognize and support those keeping integrity under trial. It is hardly just Russia, however. Everywhere “every sort of wicked thing” is said about Christians, affording ones opportunity to gather round or distance themselves.

Qualifications were not unreachable for those whom Paul would later recognize as a “strengthening aid,” or “source of great comfort”—just stick with him under censure and don’t run like a chicken. One of them even DID run like a chicken at one time (arguably) —Mark, but he later got his act together and identified with Paul in hard times—so if we are chickens, there is yet hope.

The others: “Tychicus, my beloved brother and faithful minister and fellow slave in the Lord, will tell you all the news about me. I am sending him to you so that you will know how we are and that he may comfort your hearts. He is coming along with Onesimus, my faithful and beloved brother, who is from among you; they will tell you all the things happening here.Aristarchus, my fellow captive, sends you his greetings, and so does Mark, the cousin of Barʹna·bas (concerning whom you received instructions to welcome him if he comes to you), and Jesus who is called Justus, who are of those circumcised. Only these are my fellow workers for the Kingdom of God, and they have become a source of great comfort to me.” (Colossians 4:7-11)

Tychicus made himself a conduit and a go-for. Onesimus is the former slave that the educated Paul hung out with—probably freed at his request, since his owner had also become a Christian. Aristarchus—all that is known about him is that he was a jailbird with Paul, and incurred the same slander. Mark, as mentioned, is the reformed chicken. Justus—virtually nothing is known about him. These are not high-profile people and their high praise as Christians is not unreachable for anyone.”

That is how I ended the talk, by observing that anyone could attain that status and that I hoped to be described that way myself someday.

CE701B4B-7850-4950-B617-A4AE027ADBA3

photo: Jwilli74 

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

I also gave this talk in my congregation. Your talk was excellent! I would use your ideas if I had known before.

I'm going to put my talk here with the help of Google translator:

Will you be a paregoric elixir? What is it? The apostle Paul used the Greek word paregoria in Colossians 4:11 to describe someone who acted to comfort, encourage, and assist. A paregoric elixir was one prepared with some substances and was used formerly as a medicinal mixture to relieve the discomfort, to end the suffering and pain.

What do you think? Was the apostle Paul a paradoxical elixir? It was yes, because he was a very encouraging person and did everything to help his brothers. - 2 Corinthians 11: 23-27. It was good to be in Paul's company when he had so many good things to share.

But now, the situation has changed. Paul was imprisoned in Rome, in a cold and dark cell, some Jews began to criticize him (Acts 28:17, 24, 25). Romans 9: 2 says that Paul felt "great sorrow and unceasing pain in the heart." Paul was deeply saddened by their lack of appreciation for Jehovah's goodness.

So at that time it was Paul who needed solace and his faith strengthened by the help of others. Would you be a paradoxical elixir to Paul? Now that Paul was sad, depressed, alone, who would help him? I would go? You would go?

Five brothers appeared that Paul called the "paregoric elixir". The Bible speaks in Colossians 4: 7-11 of five Christians who took their side: Tychicus, Onesimus, Aristarchus, Mark and Justus. Paul said of these five Christians in v. 11: "Only they are my collaborators for the Kingdom of God, and have become for me a source of great solace." This expression can be translated - according to the note - as "a s
trengthening aid", from which comes the word paregoria, which gave rise to the name of the Paregoric elixir.

When Paul needed it most, he found true and loyal companions in Rome, and his encouragement and affection calmed his heart. They were his genuine spiritual brothers.

How were these five spiritual brothers a s
trengthening aid (a paregoric elixir)? They did not allow Paul's imprisonment to take them away from them, they ministered to their personal needs, they acted as messengers of Paul to the various congregations; they brought to Paul encouraging reports on the brothers' welfare. And they got things he needed, such as winter clothes, rolls, and writing supplies. (Ephesians 6:21, 22; 2 Timothy 4: 11-13) All these helps have strengthened and encouraged the apostle. - Romans 1:11, 12.

If Paul lived today, would we be a paradoxical elixir to him? There are many brothers and sisters in Paul's situation, not because they are incarcerated, but because they need encouragement.

It is easy to associate and show love to someone who is well, healthy, happy. But who is depressed, lonely, sick and sad? Some brothers tell that they feel lonely and abandoned. The Watchtower said that a sister who has an unbelieving husband had to pray: "Who does not want and needs edifying friendships, encouragement and loving association? Please remind the brothers and sisters that we need them! "The Watchtower (1/12/95) says," Do any of us need to be reminded of this? "

So we all need to be attentive to the brothers on our side, whom we know. They may not say anything, but we can observe the signs. We will not wait for someone to pray for attention and love.

Let me give you an example. In Zambia, an African country, the brothers were meeting for a Congress. Many traveled for days on foot, by bicycle, by canoe ... That year there had been a very large drought in the country. An announcement was made in Congress. It was announced that the drought had affected many and that those in need of care were being helped. The siblings were usually housed in huts. One of the elders who were organizing the Congress said, "When it got dark, three brothers came to our hut. None of them wore shoes, and their clothes were old. We thought they would talk about how the drought had affected them. Instead, they said they were very sad when they learned of the difficulties some brothers were experiencing. One of them pulled an envelope full of money from the pocket of his jacket and said, 'Please do not let them starve. Use this here to buy food for them. "Silent of emotion, we could not thank them, for the brothers left before we could say anything. They had not prepared to use the money that way. So we know that they had to make a great sacrifice. These are experiences that bring us closer and closer to our brothers and sisters. "

These needy brothers, the apostle Paul and many others around the earth encountered brothers and sisters who became a "s
trengthening aid," a paregoric elixir to them. Today, more than ever, our brothers need encouragement, love, and caring. In the world we never find the true love that is found among the people of Jehovah, composed of brothers and sisters who are for us a strengthening aid!