JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

intestinal flu

Question: Has anyone or anyone's child had this in the past couple of months? My 7 yr. old came home early from school on Thur.vomitting followed by Diarrhea and it was happening every 5-10 minutes for a couple of hours.... ugh... well, Fri. she didn't eat much but drank some fluids and seemed fine, even attempted a bit of food which she kept down. Sat. morning, met for service (we had CO this past week) and her tummy started hurting her again, we sat in bathroom just in case. While out in service, she threw up again. I keep a puke bucket in the car, thankfully. We stopped to eat and she ate, it all stayed down. Time for bed on Sat. evening, she woke up at 11:38, puking all over again, and did 3 more times throughout the night. She stayed home today and was ok, not eating anything, but keeping down some sprite. She had a 1/4 of a sandwich and 2 bites of a granola bar, a couple hours later, she vomitted it all out again. She has not eaten anything else but has had a little more sprite, hopefully she will keep this down. I am buying some pedialite tomorrow, and making her drink it, I know her little body is depleted of everything....

I have never seen a stomach virus act this way for so long. My supervisor at work said her grandson had this for a week! I have never had or my kids had this for more than 2-days. Has anyone else experienced this? If she does not improve by end of tomorrow, I am taking her to the Dr. because I am now getting pretty concerned...

Holly--my 5 hear old grandson had diarrhea and vomiting for 7 days--the doctor called it "cylcic vomiting" and told my daughter NOT to give him ginger ale, chicken broth, apple juice, or energy drinks because this can make the diarrhea worse (how did I ever raise 3 kids?) anyway he said to give him cooked cereal (cream of wheat, oats, rice that is easily digestable and 1/2 c of pedilyte q 4 hrs in addition to tea and sugar free jello (high sugar contents can make diaarhea worse too) . The doctor said that the stomach lining was irritated and needed time to rest--it was just a "viral bug"--he had no fever, and felt well in between the vomiting and diarrhea ---lol--as well as you can feel with a sore bottom. That has been about one month ago and they live in California. Hope she is feeling better soon. But I too would take her to the doctor--just peace of mind means alot.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Sorry to hear this, Holly. Is her stomach hurting? Just wondering. A friend of mine has a teenage daughter who had flu-like symptoms a few weeks ago, and the rest of the family had been sick with the flu, so she just figured that's what it was. But when she didn't get better after a few days, she took her to the doctor and it turned out to be her appendix...So I'm not saying that's what it is (of course I don't know) but it's just something to consider if she isn't improving (and has stomach pains).

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

She only had the diarrhea one day, the rest has just been vomitting. But sporatic vomitting. If she doesn't eat, she is fine, if she does, she will vomit within a couple hours, but, she has kept down a few things... She vomitted again before bed last night, but has not since, she is still asleep, not sending her to school. She will not drink the pedialyte, so I am getting her some gatorade and I also hear bananas are good, I might try that. She hates jello (she has a few texture issues) and hot cereal she will eat here and there. Rice she loves, but only with butter and salt. She has had some stomach pains, but I think that is from all the vomitting. I know it is viral because of the yellow bile. Thanks ladies! We will see what today brings.

Sorry to hear this, Holly. Is her stomach hurting? Just wondering. A friend of mine has a teenage daughter who had flu-like symptoms a few weeks ago, and the rest of the family had been sick with the flu, so she just figured that's what it was. But when she didn't get better after a few days, she took her to the doctor and it turned out to be her appendix...So I'm not saying that's what it is (of course I don't know) but it's just something to consider if she isn't improving (and has stomach pains).

I had something like that years ago, turned out to be my gallbladder.

I had no fever, but every time I ate, I vomited it up and my chest felt like it was on fire. Just awful.

Question: Has anyone or anyone's child had this in the past couple of months? My 7 yr. old came home early from school on Thur.vomitting followed by Diarrhea and it was happening every 5-10 minutes for a couple of hours.... ugh... well, Fri. she didn't eat much but drank some fluids and seemed fine, even attempted a bit of food which she kept down. Sat. morning, met for service (we had CO this past week) and her tummy started hurting her again, we sat in bathroom just in case. While out in service, she threw up again. I keep a puke bucket in the car, thankfully. We stopped to eat and she ate, it all stayed down. Time for bed on Sat. evening, she woke up at 11:38, puking all over again, and did 3 more times throughout the night. She stayed home today and was ok, not eating anything, but keeping down some sprite. She had a 1/4 of a sandwich and 2 bites of a granola bar, a couple hours later, she vomitted it all out again. She has not eaten anything else but has had a little more sprite, hopefully she will keep this down. I am buying some pedialite tomorrow, and making her drink it, I know her little body is depleted of everything....

I have never seen a stomach virus act this way for so long. My supervisor at work said her grandson had this for a week! I have never had or my kids had this for more than 2-days. Has anyone else experienced this? If she does not improve by end of tomorrow, I am taking her to the Dr. because I am now getting pretty concerned...

Here is some info on intestinal flu:

http://intestinalflu.net/

Sandwiches and granola bars probably are not good to eat. Based on this article, she needs bland foods like bananas, rice, toast. When I had issues with my gallbladder, lunch meat and cheese caused more vomiting.

Here is another article that advises against dairy products such as cheese:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/267477-food-to-eat-during-a-stomach-virus/

You and I both know what she "should" eat! lol! She ate a banana today and later on a sandwhich. She has been able to keep all of it down! Whew!

Looks like she finally turned the corner! I made chicken, rice and mixed veggies for dinner, she had a couple bites of rice and was "full". She ate enough for today and has not vomitted. I am going to send her to school tomorrow, we will see if she makes it the whole day. Thank you all for your advice, suggestions and support!

Well, she did not go to school today. Her tummy is still upset. I decided to keep her home, she was a little clammy this am. I think she needs to force herself to eat, but she is not there yet for the morning, at least not this early. Soooo, another banana later on and we will see! They have no school tomorrow, an inservice day, so she will have a little more recoup time...... ugh! gotta run, she is puking! I am soooo glad I did not send her to school today! This seriously needs to go away already...... thursday afternoon will be a week... sigh....

I thought so too, then came home from work and she is playing outside, she ate 1/2 burger, fries and a frosty for lunch! (she was with Daddy)! lol! I am going to see how she is tomorrow. If she vomits again, I will take her in for a sick appt. to her Pedi. This it the strangest illness.... She does have sinus issues like me and her dad, she may have just had an upset tummy from drainage, which is why she hurled again this morning... she does that periodically, too... she is my "pukey" kid.