JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1584 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Does anyone recall a not so old talk from Morning Worship or AM or anywhere from Broadcasting (or even not from there, maybe this thought was in our publications) about that (if I remember correctly...) forgiveness is not about completely forgetting any harm or injustice you've experienced. 

I may be wrong about this thought being included somewhere but now I keep remembering it being said and I want to find this video/article... Who can help me? Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Intercore said:

Does anyone recall a not so old talk from Morning Worship or AM or anywhere from Broadcasting (or even not from there, maybe this thought was in our publications) about that (if I remember correctly...) forgiveness is not about completely forgetting any harm or injustice you've experienced. 

I may be wrong about this thought being included somewhere but now I keep remembering it being said and I want to find this video/article... Who can help me? Thanks!

We just had that thought shared at our Circuit Assembly "Love Jehovah" this morning 11:05.."Love covers a multitude of Sins" by our Branch rep. One point was that we imitate Jehovah, and he remembered the sins of ones in Bible times and had the accounts recorded in the Bible. For me it is hard to trust ones who have deeply hurt us..especially ones in authority. These Bible accounts help us. 

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Hi Irmantas, 

I don't remember a specific video, sorry, but I have always valued these words in our "Draw Close to Jehovah" book about forgiveness not being about forgetting the harm done.

*** cl chap. 26 pp. 265-267 A God Who Is “Ready to Forgive” ***
“Their Sin I Shall Remember No More”
16 Jehovah promised regarding those in the new covenant: “I shall forgive their error, and their sin I shall remember no more.” (Jeremiah 31:34) Does this mean that when Jehovah forgives he is unable to recall sins anymore? That could hardly be the case. The Bible tells us of the sins of many individuals whom Jehovah forgave, including David. (2 Samuel 11:1-17; 12:13) Jehovah is obviously still aware of the errors they committed. The record of their sins, as well as that of their repentance and forgiveness by God, has been preserved for our benefit. (Romans 15:4) What, then, does the Bible mean when it says that Jehovah does not “remember” the sins of those whom he forgives?

17 The Hebrew verb rendered “I shall remember” implies more than simply to recall the past. The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament notes that it includes “the additional implication of taking appropriate action.” So in this sense, to “remember” sin involves taking action against sinners. (Hosea 9:9) But when God says “their sin I shall remember no more,” he is assuring us that once he forgives repentant sinners, he will not at some future time act against them because of those sins. (Ezekiel 18:21, 22) Jehovah thus forgets in the sense that he does not bring our sins up again and again in order to accuse or punish us over and over. Is it not comforting to know that our God forgives and forgets?

So if we want to be like our Father Jehovah when it comes to forgiveness, we forgive in the sense that we do not bring up the other person's sins again and again in order to accuse or punish them over and over. We will remember how they hurt us, but we let go of any retribution or revenge and try to do what we can to strengthen our relationship with them. :)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)