JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Divine Truth Or Human Tradition book?

BroJPM

Good day everyone, i came across a book entitled "Divine Truth or Human Tradition" by Patrick Navas or was it Novas.. not sure now.. anyway, has anyone here had a look at the book and do you think it's a good source for more history on the subject?

I recently read a book by Richard E. Rubenstein -"When Jesus became God". wow what an interesting book that was from the historical perspective on the topic!

Thank you in advanced.

Patrick was once associated with the Truth but as with his close youtube associate I am thinking he walked away. Like his associate he mostly debated the Trinity.  I would be very careful with this one. His associate post anti-JW videos but I haven't kept up with either in the last 8 years or so since the one went apostate.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

3 hours ago, BroJPM said:

Good day everyone, i came across a book entitled "Divine Truth or Human Tradition" by Patrick Navas or was it Novas.. not sure now.. anyway, has anyone here had a look at the book and do you think it's a good source for more history on the subject?

I recently read a book by Richard E. Rubenstein -"When Jesus became God". wow what an interesting book that was from the historical perspective on the topic!

Thank you in advanced.

I liked "When Jesus Became God." The author is a Jew and did not have a dog in the race sort-to-speak. He tackles the historicle issues with out labelling one side or the other as being right. His conclusions on the effect of the Trinity on history is very interesting. With establishing the Trinity as doctrine the conversion of Jews to Christanity came to an halt. Likewise the Trinity became the antithesis to Muslims who like the Jews believe in One God. A good but rather deep (for me) read.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Wow.  I never thought that  the development of the Trinity doctrine effectively put an end to the conversion of Jews to Christianity.  The Jews were the major witnessing field for the early Christians, especially during the week of years when Daniel's prophecy was being fulfilled. Even when they went to other nations to preach, Paul and the other Christians would first approach the Jews in their synagogues, who understood the truth of there being only one almighty God. After all, even Jesus affirmed it in Mark 12:28-29  quoting a fundamental faith statement of the Jews.

The nations had to come to that understanding,  but apparently some wanted to keep some form of polytheism, while keeping belief in Jesus. Hence the development of the three in one God.

No wonder apostate Christendom had and has such a hatred for the Jews.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:01 AM, rbrown1205 said:

Wow.  I never thought that  the development of the Trinity doctrine effectively put an end to the conversion of Jews to Christianity.  The Jews were the major witnessing field for the early Christians, especially during the week of years when Daniel's prophecy was being fulfilled. Even when they went to other nations to preach, Paul and the other Christians would first approach the Jews in their synagogues, who understood the truth of there being only one almighty God. After all, even Jesus affirmed it in Mark 12:28-29  quoting a fundamental faith statement of the Jews.

The nations had to come to that understanding,  but apparently some wanted to keep some form of polytheism, while keeping belief in Jesus. Hence the development of the three in one God.

No wonder apostate Christendom had and has such a hatred for the Jews.

Yes, there is much in our literature on the history of the trinity doctrine and also on what the Bible really teaches.

For example, our Trinity brochure:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/library/r1/lp-e/all-publications/brochures-and-booklets/trinity-ti

For example, this chapter on how the trinity doctrine developed:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101989303

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 12:49 PM, BroJPM said:

i came across a book entitled "Divine Truth or Human Tradition" by Patrick Navas or was it Novas.. not sure now.. anyway, has anyone here had a look at the book and do you think it's a good source for more history on the subject?

I have the book. I haven't read all of it, but the parts I have considered were a very good read. Someone I know read this book and subsequently abandoned his belief in the trinity.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I have read portions of it. It contains very good arguments against the Trinity. The only difficulty I have with reading it is the shear volume of that evidence as he presents it . 

I think I click back on it now and read a little further.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.