JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

March 2020 study edition

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1528 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I like how this article highlights how we can learn to love Jehovah:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2020320

I especially liked:

"You could view love for Jehovah as both the gateway to baptism and the guardrail that helps you stay on the path of serving God."

When I first saw this article I said to myself: I have been baptized for many years - so this article is for others not me.

Didn't keep that thought long though!   Love for Jehovah is actually the greatest commandment in the Bible according to Jesus (Matthew 22:37-40; Mark 12:29,30; Deuteronomy 6:4,5) - and this is always the most important thing!   I love the phase "the guardrail that helps you stay on the path of serving God!

Hmmm - well, since no one else has posted on this study edition of the Watchtower:

Archaeological evidence that Israelites were slaves in Egypt, which Bible critics have claimed is myth, is documented in this article in our March 2020 study edition:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2020322

"A papyrus dated to the Middle Kingdom (c. 2000–c. 1600 B.C.E.) contains names of slaves who worked in a household in southern Egypt. More than 40 of those names are Semitic. These slaves, or servants, worked as cooks, weavers, and laborers. Hoffmeier observes: “Since over forty Semites were attached to this single estate in the Thebaid [southern Egypt], the number across Egypt, especially in the Delta, was likely considerable.”

Archaeologist David Rohl writes that some of the names of the slaves on the list “leap straight out of the pages of the Bible.” For instance, the fragments contain names that are similar to such names as Issachar, Asher, and Shiphrah. (Ex. 1:3, 4, 15) “This is real evidence for the time when the Israelites were in Egypt as slaves,” concludes Rohl.

Dr. Bimson states: “The biblical traditions of the bondage in Egypt and of the Exodus have a firm historical basis.”

See the article for additional documentation.