JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Reasoning Book

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1492 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I just noticed that The Reasoning Book has been updated on JWLibrary.

Has anyone found what was updated? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The Reasoning Book is so practical you can learn the truth without a teacher.

It depends on the territory. Many people today don’t know their Bibles, and even some Christians aren’t Christians in the sense that they’ve ever opened a Bible. Also, it to a great extent it tried to teach the truth by refuting other people’s beliefs. This is not something that we do these days. It worked great in an American fairly religious territory. Elsewhere, not so much.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

8 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It depends on the territory. Many people today don’t know their Bibles, and even some Christians aren’t Christians in the sense that they’ve ever opened a Bible. Also, it to a great extent it tried to teach the truth by refuting other people’s beliefs. This is not something that we do these days. It worked great in an American fairly religious territory. Elsewhere, not so much.

I live in what's called The Bible Belt, and it works just fine.  We get a lot of people who want to discuss/debate the trinity, immortality of the soul, and so on at the doors.  

I live in what's called The Bible Belt, and it works just fine.  We get a lot of people who want to discuss/debate the trinity, immortality of the soul, and so on at the doors.  

Yes, that’s what I mean. It’s usability was rather limited, and even though it had some merit as an encyclopaedia here and in other places, most subjects were never brought up. This is the reason the GB has brought forth regarding why we don’t really use it worldwide anymore.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, that’s what I mean. It’s usability was rather limited, and even though it had some merit as an encyclopaedia here and in other places, most subjects were never brought up. This is the reason the GB has brought forth regarding why we don’t really use it worldwide anymore.

I found it's predecessor  MAKE SURE OF ALL THINGS to be easier to use in the field though it quicly became outdated. I also found the Reasoning book to be a good cyclopedia, one vollume does it all.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I found it's predecessor  MAKE SURE OF ALL THINGS to be easier to use in the field though it quicly became outdated. I also found the Reasoning book to be a good cyclopedia, one vollume does it all.

When we still used it in the theocratic ministry school here, some thought the subjects were fun but a challenge, and something they would never actually get to use in the field ministry. Why practice refuting the trinity in the ministry if it was something you never would encounter? So, now, when we focus on teaching using God’s Word, it is much better.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 3/19/2020 at 5:45 PM, Thesauron said:

When we still used it in the theocratic ministry school here, some thought the subjects were fun but a challenge, and something they would never actually get to use in the field ministry. Why practice refuting the trinity in the ministry if it was something you never would encounter? So, now, when we focus on teaching using God’s Word, it is much better.

I remember having a 5-minute talk about the rapture based on the Reasoning book. You first had to explain what the rapture is because no one here had ever heard that word or idea before. I remember using in service the sections about the Trinity, Christmas, the Virgin Mary... But that was many years ago. I haven't discussed any of those points at a door in maybe 20 years.