JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Couple Suing Hospital For Wrongful Birth

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4428 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This really upset me. It is about abortion, which we all have issues with. It just amazes me still after all these years that this is how people think. I can't imagine the life this child is having right now, knowing her parents would have killed her if they had known she was going to have down's syndrome. Even though she is alive, do the parents love her or are they treating her like a burden they would rather get rid of? Just shocking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112708/Deborah-Ariel-Levy-Portland-couple-sues-Legacy-Heath-wrongful-birth-daughter-born-Down-syndrome.html?ITO=1490

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/03/02/couple-sues-over-down-syndrome-misdiagnosis/

I saw that article, and then I saw the one about the woman who lost her legs saving her children from a tornado, and I thought how differently people look at children. Some reflect Satan's selfish spirit, and some, even though they may not know Jehovah, reflect the spirit of self sacrifice.

Well, they do want the baby now, and they do love her. We had a magazine a few months ago about Downs children. They were greatly loved and their loving personalities, part of the syndrome, I understand, were one reason.

In this case, the parents are looking for money to help raise the child that "never should have been born". There are some physical side effects. Heart problems cause many to die young,

Reading the newspaper article again brought to mind another question. What are Orthodox Jews doing thinking about getting an abortion? Don't they have principles based on the Law? That's the part I have trouble with.

I had my children before I had the Truth, but I knew I didn't want to abort anybody, so I never had the tests. What was the point?

For me it is just shocking that people would abort their child simply for the reason that the child is not going to be "normal". I just can't understand that, of course, I can't understand abortion at all, but this story just bothered me. To actually admit that if they had known the child would have down's syndrome, they would have killed it, that upsets me. I just don't get people nowadays.

I was a witness when I had my children. The doctor offered me tests to see if anything would be wrong with them. I asked him "why", his response "if we find out something is wrong you can have the chance to decide to keep it or not". I looked at the doctor and said "don't bother with the test, I'm keeping the baby no matter what".

Being a mother I cannot fathom doing something like this. It brings to mind 2 Timothy 3:2, 3: "For men will be lovers of themselves, LOVER OF MONEY, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, (3) HAVING NO NATURAL AFFECTION, not open to any agreement...". Either these parents really have no natural affection, which is sad, or they are greedy and are suing just because they can.