JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

MAJOR OUTBURST OF NOCTILUCENT CLOUDS OVER EUROPE

A MAJOR OUTBURST OF NOCTILUCENT CLOUDS:

Last night, a major outbreak of noctilucent clouds (NLCs) blanketed Europe.

Electric-blue tendrils of frosted meteor smoke rippled over European capitals, shocking many observers who had never seen the clouds before.

Viktor-Veres-VV_07571_1593991508_lg.jpg.dc435328ce311edc81b83f3321151b37.jpg

Victor Veres: It was the most phenomenal NLC of my life tonight. I was just getting ready for dinner when one of my friends, Alex, said there was a "NLC party time!" I looked out, so the NLC was almost on the zenith. Yes, but there was a dilemma: okay that the NLC is at the zenith, but I still have from my flat a view from to the north to northeast, but nothing view to the northwest and west, what should I do, go or stay home? I risk going and playing double or nothing, that is: 1. at lower altitudes the sight will be more brutal, 2. or should I stay home and get in with that much? And I decided: Big sprint to one of the best northern view locations in Budapest, head to Gellért Hill! In about 3 minutes I got dressed in the street, running to the car, in 10 minutes up Gellért Hill and it became it. NLC with the most famous sights of BudapestDanube River, Chain Bridge, Buda Castle, Parliament and NLC. (My dinner is cooled down.)

At sunrise, onlookers snapped photos of Comet NEOWISE surrounded by the NLCs.

Screenshot_20200706_071906.thumb.jpg.96762d1d542ec2275d2f38cad52c4420.jpg

When European astronomers woke up this morning to photograph Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3), they saw something they didn't expect. The sunrise comet was surrounded by noctilucent clouds. Dr. Sebastian Voltmer caught the once-in-a-lifetime shot from Spicheren, France.

spaceweather.com

NLCs are Earth’s highest clouds.

Seeded by meteoroids, they float at the edge of space 83 km above the ground.

The clouds form during summer when wisps of water vapor rise up to the mesosphere, allowing water to crystallize around specks of meteor smoke.

This summer, record cold temperatures in the mesosphere are boosting their production.

spaceweather.com

Anybody across the pond get a glimpse of these last night? :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif