JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Video About 2020 Conventions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1353 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

16 minutes ago, Old said:

It is quite likely that more households saw the invitation to the 2020 convention than would have if we had been able to participate in the regular invitation campaign. 

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.  I'm sure you'd agree, at first it felt disappointing not to have the convention in the usual way, but perhaps Jehovah has maneuvered the situation so as to give everyone an easy opportunity to benefit from the convention this year?  

The fact that we can sit in the comfort of our own home and connect to the Internet to view the convention in such an easy way is of course absolutely unprecedented, and I'm sure many positive experiences will come out of it, as a result.

22 minutes ago, thenewworld said:

[...]  I just wanted to create something quickly to share with you, to hopefully be encouraging!

And encouraging it was, indeed. I will share the link with my family and a few friends. Well done brother and thank you or sharing this with us! :)

Edited by Omoyeme

I think it would be a good idea to mention that a brother created the video as a personal project. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Mephibosheth said:

I think it would be a good idea to mention that a brother created the video as a personal project. 

We recently saw a video and at the end it stated it was created as a Family Worship project. Have you considered adding something to the end of your video so no one assumes it is from the Branch? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Mephibosheth said:

We recently saw a video and at the end it stated it was created as a Family Worship project. Have you considered adding something to the end of your video so no one assumes it is from the Branch? 

Great idea, I will make that update now.  I appreciate the suggestion Richard! 👍

5 minutes ago, Mclove said:

Thanks Andrew. There is nothing better than to hear the voice of the maker of the video. Awwww loved that accent! And from which area would that accent hail from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kDzdJ07Vho

I wish I can get something like this for British accents. 

I grew up in the county of Surrey, which is to the West of London. It's a fairly neutral accent, so hopefully it didn't need subtitles!  For a small country, England has an enormous variety of accents.  When she talks about the "BBC" accent, that's probably the closest to my accent 😉

You might enjoy this video about British accents: 

12 minutes ago, thenewworld said:

Great idea, I will make that update now.  I appreciate the suggestion Richard! 👍

What a lovely attitude you have. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

• 2 weeks later...

I recently send the video to a brother and he later told me that an elder in his congregation asked him not to share the video with anyone because it had a screenshot of a confidential letter to elders only that announced the RC. I don't understand the elders concern but the brother followed directions and hasn't shared the video. Is there a way to change the shot of the announcement? 

30 minutes ago, Mephibosheth said:

I recently send the video to a brother and he later told me that an elder in his congregation asked him not to share the video with anyone because it had a screenshot of a confidential letter to elders only that announced the RC. I don't understand the elders concern but the brother followed directions and hasn't shared the video. Is there a way to change the shot of the announcement? 

The page included in the video was to be posted on the congregation noticeboard, so it was not private information.  However, to avoid any offence, I've updated the video again to remove that announcement.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, AH173 said:

Yeah, that does seem to be a problem with that image/footage. 

The brother has skills but this is something to be careful about producing this independently from WHQ.-My opinion

38 minutes ago, Mephibosheth said:

This was some of my concerns in the original version on my initial post.

From the JW.org button scenario surrounding the terms of use around 2014 (and with the recent virtual jw cart-pdf situation in 2020 ) any use of the Branch's trademarks, audio, image, digital or video content (outside of a news network's production) in an independently produced video is not possibly in harmony with the terms of use from the organization and some consciences of brothers like the elder and some others may have a slight problem with it.

A recent experience I had . A brother in my field service group recently posted a video (like this one) independently  produced having a brother using audio from a public talk and news clippings and sent this around to our field service group. Some didn't mind ( from the text group replies) and I didn't see yet.  The group overseer called me and said: that  there was a 'feel' that this was something from the Branch but said at the end it was a family worship project.  It may have been good for that family but to disseminate it to others it disturbed some friends (sisters) in my field service group leading the elder to call me and I told him at the time that I did not see it because it was a busy day at work. After I finished with him I looked at it and could see where some friends may have a problem with it.

The images of the news clippings are probably are not an issue (unless they have their own terms of use policy) put together in a video segment.

My thoughts.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

23 minutes ago, thenewworld said:

The page included in the video was to be posted on the congregation noticeboard

Thank you. I enjoyed the extra material that you added.

I appreciated this excerpt from the first article:

Hendriks said the conventions typically start in May and end sometime in December.“Now our entire world of Jehovah’s Witnesses, which is 8.5 million and our typical audience with conventions is closer to 20 million, our entire world on six weekends during the summer will be unified and it’s a pretty amazing thing,” he said.  Hendrik’s said he anticipates record attendance at the virtual conventions this year.

Thank you Brother Andrew for the uplinks. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, thenewworld said:

To anyone just joining this topic, the original link still works.

3 hours ago, thenewworld said:

Updated video again 8/3/20 to include the Aaron Sanchez interview: 

Instead of continually updating the original video, have you considered making a separate video?

I like to know what I'm sharing and I get uncomfortable sharing something that is constantly changing. 

The current video is now version 6, released on August 3rd.

The ONLY changes since version 3 have been the addition of new news reports.
The video is not substantially longer, I think it's added about a couple of minutes to the running time, compared with the original release.