JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

British gov Russia persecution response

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1371 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

that’s very good.

On 6th July I sent this email to the British Foreign Secretary, Dominic Raab:

Dear Sir,

I read on the BBC News website about your announcement that the UK will impose sanctions on human rights abusers, in addition to those imposed by the EU, after January 2021.

It seemed to me to be an opportune moment to bring to your attention the terrible persecution of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia. As I am sure you are aware, Russia has been ordered to stop the persection by the ECHR and Russia been fined for non-compliance, but the fines are unpaid and the decisions ignored.

The most high-profile case is that of Dennis Christensen, a Danish citizen, who has now had his early release blocked by the prosecutor and he has been put in a punishment cell.

More details can be found here:

I respectfully ask that you consider the case of brother Christensen and all the other Witnesses in prison, under house arrest, and otherwise suffering persecution at the hands of the Russian State.

Yours very sincerely,

Now I’m not saying that my email prompted any response, but I do feel I may have contributed to bringing it to the British Government’s attention once again.