JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom not working on Linux due to updating problem

I have had Linux Mint 18.3 for a few years, but it stopped updating a few months ago for some reason. Zoom was working OK until the system started getting too laggy due to not having any updates. So I installed Linux Mint 19.3 a couple of weeks ago in the hope that the issue would get resolved by the new system. I tried getting the updates just to make sure that everything is running properly, but I had the same problem - it just would not update. In addition to this, I could not get Zoom working on it. I was forced to use the browser version of Zoom for sometime, but it gets so laggy sometimes that I  cannot hear or see things. So I thought that installing a different system called LInux Lite might help. The same problem...Now I am stuck not knowing what to do.

The problem I am getting is this:

Err:18 http://archive.canonical.com xenial/partner i386 Packages Connection failed [IP: 91.189.92.150 80]

For some reason, the IP address is not accessible under all the OS I have had. The above line is what I got from LInux Lite. I have also tried changing the source list for updates. Nothing. Some folks on Google say that changing the name server or DNS ports have helped them. I have tried following their instructions, but I could not get the changes saved in the necessary files. I don't know maybe if some of you who are good at Linux can help me diagnose the problem and solve it. I am tired of it, but I need to get it working for Zoom meetings. I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction at least.

Edited by Bek

I have just remembered that I also have this message when I hit update:

Reading package lists...
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

I have tried following the instructions on this website, but to no avail: https://www.tecmint.com/fix-unable-to-lock-the-administration-directory-var-lib-dpkg-lock/

Operating system updates won't prevent your system from becoming 'laggy'. If it's happening with new hard drive partitions for operating systems, then it's very likely a hardware issue. What is the age of the device, desktop or laptop and all of the hardware specs, model #, etc? What type of storage are you using, hard drive disk or solid state drive? All drives can degrade over time, or files can become fragmented, though this is less of a problem on Linux. Also, Zoom is becoming more resource intensive over time. I've seen that they've stopped allowing it on some older mobile devices and people having trouble running it on their older computers. You have to run a system hardware monitor in order to see what is being used the most when it is running slow to see where the bottleneck is. Maybe you've got a weak dual core CPU, or your hard drive is slow, or you don't have enough RAM along with an old hard drive which is doubly bad.

The Linux Mint or Ubuntu forums are usually where you need to go regarding the package download issues, or whatever distro you happen to be using. Linux Mint is now on version 20, however. https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php Since you said it's happening on multiple operating systems, it's likely something to do with your router, internet provider or the networking card/settings in your computer. Perhaps a firewall, a static IP with ports blocked, or you need to change your DNS to another service like 1.1.1.1 rather than your internet service provider. There's always the possibility that Ubuntu could block IPs similar to yours in your country for some reason as well. This still won't change the computer being slow, however.

You'll most likely need to dig into the settings on your router, whether it's wired or wireless (wifi). If you don't have a router, only a modem with one single device, then you likely need to make changes on your computer's network settings itself. Take care not to lose your internet connection altogether if you're not sure what does what, you should read all documentation you can before changing settings.

Edited by Myew

I did not see that you posted another message before mine was written. That guide is about 4 years old and not really complete. You might try https://itsfoss.com/could-not-get-lock-error/ instead. It sounds like you might have shut down while it was installing or updating something and the files stayed locked? But again, that shouldn't necessarily apply if you're on a completely fresh operating system, provided the storage has been wiped.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, Bek said:

I have just remembered that I also have this message when I hit update:

I have tried following the instructions on this website, but to no avail: https://www.tecmint.com/fix-unable-to-lock-the-administration-directory-var-lib-dpkg-lock/

I run Linux for servers. Is apt-get already running and stuck?

Also turn off the firewall.

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

I run Linux for servers. Is apt-get already running and stuck?

Also turn off the firewall.

Oh, great! yes, apt-get is running, but it gets stuck only when it comes to updating. I have tried sudo apt upgrade and it works. It has downloaded most of the updates, but the security ones and some other important dependencies have failed. For some reason, Linux cannot download the InRelease files. I am getting only "failed" for those. 

What I have also learnt since yesterday is that the problem is the same on my other laptop, which has linux mint 18.3. So far I have had this issues under various linux-based OSs and now two different laptops. The strange thing is that all the update web and IP addresses are pinging. Only when it comes to the port 80, it does not ping. I have used various commands to create rules to allow port 80 and even specific IP addresses that have been inaccessible. Initially I was having only one IP address at port 80 blocked, but after making new port rules, I now get many more inaccessible IP addresses. So I don't really know what the problem is. At first I thought that the problem might have been with the provider, but they say that nothing is being blocked. Just out of curiosity I have tried using my mobile internet, which is not related to my current provider. The system was able to download most InRelease files, but it still gave these two error messages:

Failed to fetch .... inRelease... Connection failed [IP: 91.189.88.142 80]Failed to fetch...inRelease..  Connection failed [IP: 91.189.91.39 80]Failed to fetch ...inRelease.. Connection failed [IP: 91.189.88.142 80]Failed to fetch inRelease... Connection failed [IP: 91.189.92.150 80]Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Failed to fetch InRelease....  Clearsigned file isn't valid, got 'NOSPLIT' (does the network require authentication?)The repository 'http://aze.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease' is not signed.Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.Failed to fetch InRelease... Clearsigned file isn't valid, got 'NOSPLIT' (does the network require authentication?)The repository 'http://mirror.dc.uz/linuxmint tricia InRelease' is no longer signed.