JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Watchtower—Study Edition February 2021

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1115 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

15 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

It makes me think it's good that we analyze and talk about the picture illustrations during the WT study to avoid any confusion.

2 hours ago, Romain said:

The description of the illustration is “A sister conducting a meeting for field service. She is seated and wearing a head scarf”

The problem is that if an elder were to print out the information, or send a sister the WOL link,  there would be no picture. Pictures can be helpful when used to enhance the text, not explain the text. 

Edited by M.J.

No, the topic of head coverings has always been a source of great confusion. Many sisters don't really know when to wear and not wear one. (At all female babyshowers or bridal showers, they always think they need a head covering to pray, when in fact they don't). And it often changes depending on different scenarios. And no matter how many times I personally review this topic, I still get confused myself. For example: It says it would be rare for a sister to pray outloud in front of her husband, unless he's deaf. But all this time I've been praying in Spanish while giving my studies, with head covering of course, because he doesn't speak Spanish, so he can't offer the prayer. How can this be a rare scenario? I know many, many couples with same scenario. So.... have I been doing something wrong all this time? Sigh... back to the drawing board...
I have always thought, when in doubt wear a covering.
So what if its not needed, im sure jehovah totally understands that we wear it with respect to headship arrangement. He isn't going to be upset with sisters for that even if not needed

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Fiona said:

Yeah, I wasn't criticising you. I was making a comment about what you said in the middle about some sisters wearing it when not needed. Just adding to your comment I guess. Sorry if it came out wrong.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Oh I see, No problem 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Study Article 7

I enjoyed the reminder:

- that the head of single sisters who are not living at home is the Christ.

https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=2021282&par=15

- on the difference between the roles of elders and family heads:

https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=2021282&par=21

I loved these articles on headship! Some of my favorite current articles.

For a number of years we had a circumstance in which a former elder/regular pioneer was present at our field service meetings and us pioneer sisters were told we were to conduct and say the prayer. The brother knew this as well. I have to say it was nerve racking for me when it was my turn to handle the field service meeting. I felt so inadequate in his presence. We kept a head covering  at the Hall in case one of us was not wearing one.

In my area it is a local  custom of a few different religions for the lady members to wear a head covering at all times. They are called Kapps or some call them their Jacobson or prayer bonnet. Some are a lace doily either white or black and some are a transparent bonnet .Others are a flowered handkerchief . I’ve even seen blue jean ones among the Pentecostal ladies. It’s been a fascinating thing for me to think about ,the issue of head coverings . 
I had a study with a Mennonite ministers wife who always wore hers and she questioned us as to why we do not. 
I love how we are so balanced in all things including this issue of wearing a head covering . Of course we could be required to wear it at all times but the governing body are reasonable on this and go by the scriptural instruction for us. Not requiring more than is written. 

• 3 months later...

spacer.png

After sending food to David and his men, Abigail approaches David. Then she bows down to the ground and urges him not to bring bloodguilt on himself by taking revenge (See paragraph 16)

But, look at the illustration ... why is David's sword bigger than the sword of all his other soldiers?

Does anyone have any doubts about the historical veracity of our publications?

Answer: 1 Samuel 21: 8,9

Accuracy and truth does. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible