JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

does any one have a recipe for bakklava please

i love bakkalava and would love to make it does any one know a greek recipe please and thanks :chef:

Gabe

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

i love bakkalava and would love to make it does any one know a greek recipe please and thanks :chef:

Gabe

Gabe, my cousin makes it & it is delicious. I've never made it nor do I have a recipe. Have you checked the internet. There are probably some good ones on there. You will mail us all a piece, right!?! :eat::bringiton: Betty

• 1 month later...

Hi Gabe,

Here's a recipe from a dear old Greek friend in our congregation (many years ago) who made the most delicious Baklava.

MEROPE'S BAKLAVA:

1 lb phyllo (You can find it in the freezer section)

1 lb melted, unsalted butter (the unsalted is important)

1 lb shelled walnuts

2 cups plus 2 heaping tbsp sugar

1/2 tsp approx. cinnamon

Dash of cloves (optional I don't use it)

2 cups sugar

2 cups water

1/3 cup honey

2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven 400 degrees.

Make sure Phyllo is thawed in refrigerator before trying to use. Unwrap phyllo and cover with a cloth to keep moist while using. Chop walnuts till medium fine and add 2 heaping tablespoons of white sugar along with a good sprinkling of cinnamon (approx. 1/2 tsp.) Mix together.

Brush a large cookie sheet with some melted butter just to coat it. (You will have to judge how you use the butter as you want to use up the whole pound and yet have enough to butter each sheet especially the top layer). Layer 8 sheets of phyllo, buttering each on the pan. (Note: Some sheets may tear as the pastry is delicate and some may overlap. Don't worry about it, just do the best you can. It won't show in the end.)

Lightly sprinkle some of the nut mixture over the top. Cover with two sheets of phyllo, buttering each. Sprinkle with nut mixture. Repeat until you use up all the phyllo and nut mixture leaving 8 sheets for the top layers. You will have to judge how much of the nut mixture you use so it will last till the end. But don't fuss over it it will turn out fine.

Cut the baklava before baking with a sharp knife into diamond shapes. The best way is to cut it lengthwise into 6 or 8 strips followed by starting at the top corner, cut equal strips at an angle.

Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake baklava till golden brown, crispy. (45 minutes).

Meanwhile on the stove combine remaining 2 cups sugar and water in a pan. Boil till a drop on a plate thickens slightly, like a light syrup and sticky, about 20 minutes. ( Be careful not to overcook). Take off of heat and add honey and lemon juice. Set aside.

When baked, remove baklava from oven. Using a ladle or cup to pour syrup over hot baklava, make sure to cover each piece. Let cool completely and ENJOY!!!

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D