JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

hey mum's I'm looking please some ideas on,

Hey Mom's I'm looking for some advice please on getting rid of knits

My daughter Kayler has had them for some time, over the three years of her going to school i have tried everything,

you can imagine. from natural tea tree - the chemically treated stuff at the chemist and washing beding in hot water with tea oil and the dryer and the sun put the matresses in the sun, run conditioner through the hair.

a friend suggested buying a ryobi comb so did then it feel apart. an now my 6 yr old is also dealing with the knits

i even was their hair once a week am told that the knits don't like dirty hair i havent

tried kerosene yet i know it to be an old remedy. i am worried that the kero might hurt their skin. one daughter has

sensitive skin and when she cut her hair. i was sad now it has come back beautiful. and kayler has hair down to her hips and is a beauty strawberry red chestnutty like honey. its all different in the light . so mums any other Ideas be glad for the Help.

:kiss: gabe

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I had to read that twice as I had just been reading posts on a forum for crochet and knitting. Then I realized you meant 'nits' not 'knits' LOL

Anyway,

My three daughters battled Lice and their nits for years. They also had lovely long hair.

Kerosene is dangerous. Do NOT use it as it is extremely flammable! It is far better to deal with lice than than burned skin.

If cutting their hair is not an option for you, you must be prepared to spend much time (one or more hours) examining a few hairs at a time to remove the nits. Invest in a good metal nit comb if you can. It is a big help but it does take time no matter what.

The glue the lice use to place the nits on hair can be loosened with a good shampoo for the purpose. Ask a pharmacist for recommendations on which brand to buy.

It does not matter if the hair is dirty or clean, the lice feed on blood and love the areas of the scalp behind the ears, on the back of the head near the neck and under any clips and hair bands like those used to hold ponytails.

It does NOT work to use hot hair dryers, curling irons, hair dye, vinegar, alcohol or any home remedy. Kerosene and household chemicals can be dangerous and cause chemical burns on the skin (or the lungs if inhaled).

Lice are very contagious so make sure each child has their own hairbrush and those are cleansed of hair after every use. Wash them in hot water weekly and don't allow the children to share hairbrushes and combs. As you already know, wash all laundry in the hottest water you can.

Use only products recommended by a doctor or pharmacist. You will get through this eventually. I know I did and my daughters are now 28, 25, and 22.

I had to read that twice as I had just been reading posts on a forum for crochet and knitting. Then I realized you meant 'nits' not 'knits' LOL

Anyway,

My three daughters battled Lice and their nits for years. They also had lovely long hair.

Kerosene is dangerous. Do NOT use it as it is extremely flammable! It is far better to deal with lice than than burned skin.

If cutting their hair is not an option for you, you must be prepared to spend much time (one or more hours) examining a few hairs at a time to remove the nits. Invest in a good metal nit comb if you can. It is a big help but it does take time no matter what.

The glue the lice use to place the nits on hair can be loosened with a good shampoo for the purpose. Ask a pharmacist for recommendations on which brand to buy.

It does not matter if the hair is dirty or clean, the lice feed on blood and love the areas of the scalp behind the ears, on the back of the head near the neck and under any clips and hair bands like those used to hold ponytails.

It does NOT work to use hot hair dryers, curling irons, hair dye, vinegar, alcohol or any home remedy. Kerosene and household chemicals can be dangerous and cause chemical burns on the skin (or the lungs if inhaled).

Lice are very contagious so make sure each child has their own hairbrush and those are cleansed of hair after every use. Wash them in hot water weekly and don't allow the children to share hairbrushes and combs. As you already know, wash all laundry in the hottest water you can.

Use only products recommended by a doctor or pharmacist. You will get through this eventually. I know I did and my daughters are now 28, 25, and 22.

ok thanks leann, there is lite at the end of the tunnel. Gabe

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Have you tried smothering them with olive oil? worked well with my daughter, you have to leave it on for a few hours but it works and it's harmless. see this explanation: http://www.ehow.com/how_2283916_treat-lice-olive-oil.html

Kathy

I will give this ago, thanks Kathy, Gabe

I had to deal with them twice when my kids were growing up. I did all that was recommended. I used the lice shampoo the doctor recommended. I washed all bedding and stuffed toys that could be washed. If they could not be washed I was told to put them in a dark garbage bag, tie it tight and leave it for several days. (this would include dolls etc.) Vaccumed everything I could. I was able to be rid of them fairly quickly doing all of those steps. Make sure to remember to vacuum all furnture. Pillows that can not be washed need to be treated with the garbage bag method. The heat from the dryer can also help kill them if the pillows can go in there. There are also now sprays for furniture.

Lemon Juice For Lice

One of the best home remedies for lice is lemon juice. This treatment is pretty safe and highly affordable. Let us take a look at why and how lemon juice for lice works to get rid of nits and how it should be applied.

Lemon juice contains citric acid at a concentration of about 5%. This acid helps to dissolve the cement that glues the nits to the hair shaft. This helps to remove them manually or comb them out more easily.

There are several ways you can apply lemon juice for lice. Take a sufficient amount of lemon juice to wet your hair. The amount you need depends on how long your hair is. Apply the juice to dry and clean hair and leave on for at least 10 minutes.

http://www.make-stuff.com/formulas_&_remedies/illness_&_injury_remedies/lice.html

I know this one works

The best thing I've found for ridding lice is castor oil. Coat hair cover with disposable shower cap leave on over night. In the AM put shampoo on hair before you wet it! Wash twice castor oil is gone and so are lice. I do comb hair carefully to be sure there aren't any nits left. Hair is conditioned and looks great.

This is the best and easiest method I've found.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Thanks Vernalee for the tip i will try this one too. where can I buy castor oil please? i;ve heard of it used in the days of like my mums when she was having me, is it the same oil? thanks

Any health store will have it and at a better price than the grocery stores. About 1 qt. will cost around $15.00 or less. I usually get mine on Amazon. Look on the following website for other suggestions to use it. I try to remember to use it every day for my skin.

http://skinverse.com/castor-oils-many-uses-for-beautiful-skin-and-hair.html

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Are you talking about taking castor oil orally to start contractions?? I was two weeks overdue and my Mom and sister had me drink it in Root Beer then they took me over a really hilly road--called "Dodie's Dumps" it was like a roller coaster---I thought it was named Dumps because when the car hit the bottom of the hill you were down in the dumps. NOW after taking the castor oil I changed my thinking---dumps was what you did after drinking the oil! All that and NO active labor--it was another week before my daughter came.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

No Leslie, you use it as an oil on your face. It helps to take away age spots and I removed a small wart on my face with it by putting some on a bandage and covering the wart. In one week it was gone. It is very good for your skin. Go to the web page I posted before to see all the things it is good for. And it works better than all those expensive creams.

But yes it is the same oil.

I always used Quassia bark... boil the bark chips in water for 20 mins and cool ... then apply all over... the lice and nits die instantly, this is a herbal remedy and always worked for us :)

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Hey Mom's I'm looking for some advice please on getting rid of knits

My daughter Kayler has had them for some time, over the three years of her going to school i have tried everything,

you can imagine. from natural tea tree - the chemically treated stuff at the chemist and washing beding in hot water with tea oil and the dryer and the sun put the matresses in the sun, run conditioner through the hair.

a friend suggested buying a ryobi comb so did then it feel apart. an now my 6 yr old is also dealing with the knits

i even was their hair once a week am told that the knits don't like dirty hair i havent

tried kerosene yet i know it to be an old remedy. i am worried that the kero might hurt their skin. one daughter has

sensitive skin and when she cut her hair. i was sad now it has come back beautiful. and kayler has hair down to her hips and is a beauty strawberry red chestnutty like honey. its all different in the light . so mums any other Ideas be glad for the Help.

:kiss: gabe

My granddaughter always has lice when she comes to see me. Vernalee's lemon juice idea will work, I use mayonaise though for the same principle. Easier on the child and it leaves the hair feeling soft and supple. Usually comb it into the hair, leave it for four hours with a bag over the top. Comb out with a nit comb.