JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Remeniscing, the way it used to be

I posted in 'What convinces you personally that the Great Tribulation (GT) is about to happen?,' my early experience of carrying a sandwichboard advertising a district convention. That got me to reminiscing on things far past. Many on this forum are unfamiliar with our old Theocratic Ministry School. First time out you had a 6 or 8 minute part. I saw one brother wet himself and at another time the student fainted.

So here I am offering a little insight into how we all felt about our first talk, whether a Bible reading with comment or a full eight minutes of our own composition on assigned material.

This is one brother (Sisters were not used in the TMS at that time) telling what it was like for his first time up, you may have felt the same.

Theocratic School  (or My First Talk)

I was feeling so fine, as good as can be,

Then I looked on the board and what did I see,

I lost my composure, lost all my cool,

I saw my name on the Theocratic School.*

Well I trembled all night, trembled all day,

I started to sweat, started to pray,

I wanted to hide, this was no fun,

I was so scared, where could I run?

I talked to the flowers, I talked to the bees,

I talked to the birds up in the trees.

Went to the barnyard, talked to the sheep,

I thought I was crazy, I talked in my sleep.

I heard my name called and I started to walk,

Up to the platform to give my first talk,

I took that big step, to scared to cry,

Looked at the audience, thought I would die.

I started to tremble, started to shake,

Opened my mouth but no sound could I make.

Thought of my God, started to pray,

He must have helped me, I'm still living today.

Now that it's over, I feel like a fool,

It's not that bad on the Theocratic School,

I tell all you brothers, you can do it too,

Trust in Jehovah, He'll see you through.

Anonymous

This was prior to assingment slips, students were expected to take responsibility to note any assignment on the 'Bulliten Board, no reminders. 

Bulliten board? We hadn't got tied up in knots over it being the information board at that time.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

20 minutes ago, Good-O said:

I was always more comfortable in the main hall giving a demo than in the 2nd/3rd room.  You? 

Allways! I disliked the 2nd room. At one time we were meeting in an old dance hall and the second school was the old cloak room. Only enough space for the two or three students and the conductor. Impossible to project ones voice in a closet.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I was always more comfortable in the main hall giving a demo than in the 2nd/3rd room.  You? 

Main auditorium. But it is odd. Every single one listening and watching is a friend who is rooting for us and wants us to succeed.

When you yourself is in the audience, have you ever hoped that a brother or sister should fail? If they make a mistake, does it not rather make you happy that they show that they are human? And happy that they want to become better? And if they succeed, does it not make you happy that your friend is such a wonderful teacher?

Sometimes we compare ourselves to skilled teachers with years of experience who deliver talks or lectures every week, and forget that they might get nervous too, but have mastered the skill of not letting it take over.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”