JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

10 tips on building a high credit score.

I have been through all kinds of situations.  At one point over 40 years ago,

Back in the 1970s, I had good credit but my wife had none.  We started getting things in her name on credit (I would cosign on the credit) so that she could build up her credit.

My 2-year-old son was diagnosed with leukemia in 1984.  I had some problems with the insurance company denying bills.  which I disputed.  In 1987, I was laid off from my job and still had the medical bills.  I kept the insurance but it was expensive.  My credit went very bad.   I was about to file for bankruptcy.  I had been laid off from one job and because of my position, everyone told me I was over-qualified for what they had to offer.  I had been to a lawyer and had the papers to fill out to file for bankruptcy.  Suddenly, I got a job that paid well. I forgot about filing for bankruptcy, which I really did not want to do anyway.  I had been out of work for over a year at the time.

My wife and I both worked for several years.  I retired after 21 years at one job and my wife (who was younger) retired after about 25 years at her job.  I had planned to work until I was 65 and my wife would work until 62 because she was 3 years younger.  Health became a problem for me and I ended up retiring when I was 61, 5 months before I was old enough to get Social Security.

I pay the statement balance on my credit cards every month now.  I have an 843 credit score.  This past month I paid extra so that my balance would be lower when my statements came out this time.  I don't know yet how that will affect my credit score.

Utilities such as electricity, water/sewage, gas (if you have any), and internet service do not like to file any paperwork, but if you go to the credit bureau, you can get them added to the credit report.  Assuming that you have paid those bills on time every month, this will help your credit score.

15 hours ago, Lori said:

I had student loans forgiven because of my disability.   

That’s great 😁

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.