JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Friends, last weekend I have installed 2 speakers in the ceiling 5 inch drivers, and currently run set up called 5.1 ...

But ...I don't hear rear speakers as much as I have imagined.

Of course action movies are probably the best to get full experience, but I am not really "action" movie person. 

My current cross over to subwoofer is above 100mhz. 

What LEVELS do I set the rear speakers to? based on 0db ...+4db etc ???? 

Should they be set on higher Db levels then front and centre speaker ? 

What about Centre speaker ? should dB be higher or lower then left and right speaker ? 

Any help appreciated. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Yes, the surround sound is primarily for movie watching. Most amps have a 'set-up' option where you sit a microphone in the spot you sit, and it will run through a series of sounds to get the delay time right, so that the speaker sounds hit your ear at the correct interval for the desired result.
I then do ramp up the rear speaker volume to amplify the desired result.
I have a Sony 7.2 system my son gifted to me. (Actually when he moved back to Melbourne, he couldn't fit it in the car. Score!)

Old (Downunder) Tone

16 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Yes, the surround sound is primarily for movie watching. Most amps have a 'set-up' option where you sit a microphone in the spot you sit, and it will run through a series of sounds to get the delay time right, so that the speaker sounds hit your ear at the correct interval for the desired result.
I then do ramp up the rear speaker volume to amplify the desired result.
I have a Sony 7.2 system my son gifted to me. (Actually when he moved back to Melbourne, he couldn't fit it in the car. Score!)

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Thanks Tony, my microphone is not working from brand new (my amp is under warranty so I will organise replacement) 

According to what you’re saying there needs to be slight delay for rear speakers? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Ok, so in a surround sound setup you main volume level comes from the front left and right and the centre speaker.

The rear left and right are there to give direction and a feeling of space and openness to the sound, but this is done at a much lower volume apart from the occasional loud effect.

Also depending on the amp and the setup, if the rear speakers are fed from a surround sound amp you might find on many of the sound profiles you will only get a significant output from the rear speakers when your are sending a 5.1 or 7.1 audio encoded signed to the amp, eg from a DVD or movie.

In "normal" audio not much will come from the rear.

But most amps will have a sound profile that you can select that will send the front signals to the rears as well for normal audio, but that is then useless for surround sound.

Don't be tempted to crank up the rears so you can hear a lot of volume from them  because when that occasional loud sound effect comes from the rear it will blow you out your chair!

Line level, ( 0 dB ) is usually where it's designed to operate at.

The surround amp will usually sort out any needed delay - ofton it will ask for distances or room layout information to set it up.  Again don't be tempted to manually try to do it better!

Yes, there is a delay specific to your installation. So every new set-up has to run the installation routine.
My amp came with a sensor which you place at where you will sit. The amp then goes through and adjusts the delay automatically for the speakers.
The rear right and rear left will be timed so the effect will be optimal for your seating position.
All this should be automatically set up with the installation routine.
Then the sensor is put away, never to be used again....
5.1 has 5 speakers and 1 woofer
7.1 has 7 speakers and 1 woofer
7.2 has 7 speakers and 2 woofers
The centre speaker has the voice of most movies channelled through them, with the front L & R adding some slight direction to them.
These 3 speakers carry most of the volume.
The rest are usually small wattage speakers just for effect.
(May I ask what the Brand of your amp is pls?)

Old (Downunder) Tone

6 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Yes, there is a delay specific to your installation. So every new set-up has to run the installation routine.
My amp came with a sensor which you place at where you will sit. The amp then goes through and adjusts the delay automatically for the speakers.
The rear right and rear left will be timed so the effect will be optimal for your seating position.
All this should be automatically set up with the installation routine.
Then the sensor is put away, never to be used again....
(May I ask what the Brand of your amp is pls?)

Its Onkyo Tx Srs 393

Oh and just to add that all that Tony has said above is good advice.

It's been about 12 years since I last played with this sort of kit in my day job, and back then the posh ones came with a measuring tape to set up your room distances!

Apparently nowadays they come with  sensors and microphones!

I looked at the pdf on their website. I see on the front (bottom right) is the 'set-up' mic socket.
It has soooo many other fancy features. I would like to try the 'voice enchantment' button. So often the voice is lost in all the movie noise I have to put the subtitles on to read what was said. (probably related to my age...)
Bluetooth streaming, built-in wireless charger, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer (I don't know what it is but it sounds impressive!) 1A USB powered port...
Enjoy.

Old (Downunder) Tone

10 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer (I don't know what it is but it sounds impressive!)

Speaker Virtualizer enables you to access a more immersive entertainment experience from traditional channel based speaker layouts through digital signal processing including Dolby Atmos height virtualization and surround virtualization. 

1 hour ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

So what is the reference to 'Height' have to do with it...?
Heightened experience? emoji848.png

I think it simulates elevated speakers  (like above your head) 

9 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Do you have speakers on a stand? Or are they on the floor? Did/does it sound different?

Tony, this is my current set-up, plus  2 speakers inbuilt into the ceiling behind. In my view "Virtualizer" gave some space-like atmosphere. And I feel some improvement. But every set up is different, and every person will react to it differently.  

I am thinking of changing my 4K player Panasonic UB420 to UB820 ..apparently improves picture and sound significantly ...and does wonders to upscaling DVD's (although 420 does that good as well.... I mean really good job, recently I have watched Mork and Mindy,  and the picture quality was holding very well, no grain. Quite clear as well ) 

Do you know anything about UB-820 player? worth it? 

ggg.jpeg