JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I'm trying to be strict about who I am "friends" with on Facebook. I'm getting a lot of friend requests from non-JW friends and family that I don't want to be friends with because I don't want to be associated in any way with their worldly ways and content/posts. I'm afraid feelings will get hurt by ignoring/rejecting their requests, especially from family. I'm tempted to get off of Facebook completely so that it won't be an issue anymore. Am I being too strict? Any thoughts please? Thanks :)

I'm trying to be strict about who I am "friends" with on Facebook. I'm getting a lot of friend requests from non-JW friends and family that I don't want to be friends with because I don't want to be associated in any way with their worldly ways and content/posts. I'm afraid feelings will get hurt by ignoring/rejecting their requests, especially from family. I'm tempted to get off of Facebook completely so that it won't be an issue anymore. Am I being too strict? Any thoughts please? Thanks :)

I have a FB account. It doesn't bother me to ignore a friends request from someone. It would be different if they actually got a message saying that FB Friend xxxx has chosen to NOT ACCEPT your request, or something to that effect. Ignoring it just makes it go away. And I have both family and JW friends that I choose not to be FB friends with. But just not having a FB account solves the whole problem!! :)

I had the same issues so I denied access,then...which I don't think they will know...then I changed my name from my full name to my nickname and middle name....you can do that without starting a new account...worked for me so far.:coffee:

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

:uhhuh: 

You can friends to lists. For example, you will have a "Close Friends" list by default. Any friend you add to that list will most definitely appear in your newsfeed and you will get a notification and email every time they do something. It's like a "I stalk these people" list :P

There is also a "Restricted" list. When you post a message, you can change the audience selector to share with "Friends except Restricted" and they will not be able to see the post or the ensuing conversation.

On your profile, you can also make certain things visible to only people on certain lists.

If you don't want to see a friends posts in your news feed, you can click their name, and on their profile click "Friends" and then select "Do not show in newsfeed" and you will never see them swearing or posting Easter pictures again.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's the part where maybe I'm too strict. I don't like being on others' friends lists unless they are Witnesses. I looked into the help, and I don't think there is any way to have myself hidden from others' friends lists.

For example, say I have a non-JW family member who has inappropriate material on his account. I could choose to not view his account and not view the news feed. However, I will still show up on HIS friends list and therefore, I could appear to approve of the inappropriate content just because I am a friend (I have my friends and family lists hidden from others on my account). Am I being too strict and over-thinking it?

You could have two accounts - one for brothers and one for others - use a shortened form of your name or a fun name for brothers? Then only visit the 'others' account when suits you, set it so you are not emailed (if too much keeps coming in) and don't look at individual Facebook profile pages when you know they could offend you. Keep things direct, simple and quick.

Or, you could tell 'others' outright you only have your Facebook account to connect with brothers?

Bob gave a good suggestion Gary. I too have non witness family members that I do not allow on my FB page. I just recently got a friend request from a relative who is very racist. I checked out her wall, and I couldn't believe what she writes over there, so I turned down her friend request. I don't speak with many of my non witness family members as we are not close, but I do have a few cousins that I have on my FB page.

I had a friend that I unfriended due to inappropriate posts. She just friend requested me again! (sigh)

So some of you guys don't feel bad about not friending (or unfriending) some of your family members? I know we shouldn't compromise our conscience, but man, it is hard for me... On that note, look at this article heading, "Facebook 'defriending' led to double murder, police say". Here's the article: http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-defriending-led-double-murder-police-014442236.html

So unfriending (or defriending :tongue: ) someone can get you killed! :shrugs::sweat::surrender:

I had a friend that I unfriended due to inappropriate posts. She just friend requested me again! (sigh)

So some of you guys don't feel bad about not friending (or unfriending) some of your family members? I know we shouldn't compromise our conscience, but man, it is hard for me... On that note, look at this article heading, "Facebook 'defriending' led to double murder, police say". Here's the article: http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-defriending-led-double-murder-police-014442236.html

So unfriending (or defriending :tongue: ) someone can get you killed! :shrugs::sweat::surrender:

You are just so popular Gary............:popcorn:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

So some of you guys don't feel bad about not friending (or unfriending) some of your family members?

I'll accept the request, and then put them on my "Family" list.

I sort my friends into the following groups.

Family

Friends (non-JW)

Jehovah's People In Real Life

Net Witnesses

And then facebook has the following lists built in....

Close Friends (for those you want to stalk or not miss a thing)

Restricted Friends (for those who you want to accept friend request just to be nice, but not really share anything with (requires proper use of audience selector when posting)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Family

Friends (non-JW)

Net Witnesses

Restricted Friends (for those who you want to accept friend request just to be nice, but not really share anything with (requires proper use of audience selector when posting)

Thanks for the suggestions Bob. I had to laugh about a separate category for Net Witnesses and "Jehovah's People In Real Life". :laugh:

You are just so popular Gary............:popcorn:

:lol2: Oh sweet, naive Vernalee, keep thinking that and enjoy your popcorn. Would it happen to be pink popcorn? :P

Never pink.B)

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

So some of you guys don't feel bad about not friending (or unfriending) some of your family members?

Family

Friends (non-JW)

Net Witnesses

Ok, I'm curious, what are "net witnesses"?

This would be the FANATICAL witnesses that feel every point must be argued and all must think like them. No PG-13 movies. No sci-fi as "the force" is a manifestation of evil and sorcery. The word WISH is just as bad, etc.

If you have ever been on some JW Facebook pages - you know what is meant. :lol1:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

This would be the FANATICAL witnesses that feel every point must be argued and all must think like them. No PG-13 movies. No sci-fi as "the force" is a manifestation of evil and sorcery. The word WISH is just as bad, etc.

If you have ever been on some JW Facebook pages - you know what is meant. :lol1:

Good to know Jerry! Haha! I obviously have never been on any Facebook JW groups. It took me a month to just sign up for this website out of fear of apostasy. I am nervous about branching out on the Internet. I'm not a "Net Witness" either, thank goodness. I have to sayi have been pleasantly surprised and happy with JWTalk!

Read this old topic, and then you'll see....

http://www.jwtalk.net/forum/read.php?10,11511

But as far as the Facebook list goes, it is those whom I only know on the net, and never met face to face. I've actually tried to remove "net witnesses" altogether from my friends list.

Good to know Jerry! Haha! I obviously have never been on any Facebook JW groups. It took me a month to just sign up for this website out of fear of apostasy. I am nervous about branching out on the Internet. I'm not a "Net Witness" either, thank goodness. I have to sayi have been pleasantly surprised and happy with JWTalk!

I too have never been on any Facebook JW groups, and I'm very inexperienced with Facebook, so I'll have to take Jerry's and Bob's word about Net Witnesses. :laugh: