JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Favourite Musicals?

Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard that.  I'm not doubting you at all, I just hadn't heard that before.  What I assumed is the same as what's on the Wikipedia page for it: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Misérables_(musical)#Act_II
At a convent, Valjean awaits his death, having nothing left to live for. The spirit of Fantine appears to him and tells him that he has been forgiven and will soon be with God. Cosette and Marius arrive to find Valjean near death. Valjean thanks God for letting him live long enough to see Cosette again, and Marius thanks him for saving his life ("Valjean's Death"). Valjean gives Cosette a letter confessing his troubled past and the truth about her mother. As he dies, the spirits of Fantine and Éponine guide him to Heaven reminding him that "to love another person is to see the face of God". They are joined by the spirits of those who died at the barricades, who sing that in the next world, God lays low all tyranny and frees all oppressed people from their shackles ("Do You Hear The People Sing? (Reprise/Finale)").

Yes, that is not entirely true, I think, even though I can see how people can view it like that. As far as I know, that as not expressed like that in the manuscript.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

IMO  a stage production of a musical is almost always better than the movie version though I did like the movie versions of Phantom. I watched Westside story on the big screen and thought Ho-hum. 15 years later I saw it on stage and was blown away.
My two favorites musicals are Fiddler on the Roof and the one featuring XXIVDCI.
Personally 'Man from La Mancha' was better in the film version than on the stage, perhaps Sophia Loren had something to do with that. :blush:

I am quite curious about Spielberg’s new version of West Side Story. Whatever little the sneak peak showed, they show some reverence to the original films while also grittier, like the stage play.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 4/27/2021 at 3:18 PM, JayMusicGirl said:

Two of my favorite musicals are The Lion King and Dreamgirls. Some of the only two I've seen in person haha. 

I LOVED The Lion King! Saw it 3 times. After covid may see it again.  The music the costume and the sets were amazing  Hakuna Matata🦁🐗

For some reason neither my wife or I were enthralled by 'The Lion King" 1994. Likely because it borrowed heavily from Bible stories,  the story of Moses but mainly it portryed Simba as the 'Savior'.

A redeeming feature was the the portrayal of Simba's companions. Maybe if we saw it on stage we might have liked it better.

Music was good.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.