JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Move default location where JWL stores its files

I want to change the default download location for JWL on my tablet, Samsung Tab A7, which is running Android 10. But the tablet keeps trying to update me to Android 11. From personal experience I know that this new Android 11 locks you out of all Android/data files. So some apps that search for music automatically will totally miss anything in the JWL folders.

My tablet stores all my JWL downloads in Android/data/org.jw.jwlibrary.mobile/files.  Sometimes I open the JWL files in different apps, so I need to change the default location for JWL to a spot I can get to in Android 11. I am familiar with moving files, no problems there. In all my searches for this issue I can find lots of details to change the default location on a PC, but none for the Android. I need desperately to be able to change this default location for the JWLibrary app files, because the tablet is going to automatically update. I keep getting the notification to update bit I say "delay," but I know that, somewhere down the line, it will update by itself and I am going to have to twist myself into knots to get to the files!  😝

Welcome to JWtalk, Luz!

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. On JW Library for Android there is a setting to store media files on an SD card instead of internal memory. In JW Library open the menu, then Settings > Save  media files on: SD card.

That doesn't change JW Library default folder nor moves the files you already downloaded, but the music and videos you download from now on will be saved on your SD card. On my phone the files are stored on /storage/2116-1E00{this is my SD card}/Android/data/org.jw.jwlibrary.mobile/files. Your music app should be able to find them there. :)

Edited by carlos

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 1:47 PM, Floyd said:

I have a Samsung Android 11 phone and it stores the JWL files in /Internal Memory/Movies/JWLIBARY and /Internal Memory/Music/JWLIBARY

I don't see anything in Android/data/org.jw.jwlibrary.mobile

Maybe different flavors of Android save the data in different folders.

Anyway, in the example I gave I had activated the option to save multimedia in the external card. So the Android/data/org.jw.jwlibrary.mobile/files folder is in the external card. I  have no idea where files are stored in the internal memory.

• 1 year later...

Most Android tablets and cellphones will hide the system files from view. They will be there but won't show up in Android. You can move them if you connect it to a laptop or pc with a USB cable on File Transfer mode, and browse to that folder. They will show up there and you can cut/paste with the file explorer.

Hope this helps.

It might be that the generic File Manager that comes with your device does not see system folders.

However, you might be able to use 3rd Party File Managers (ES File Explorer etc) to get around this hurdle.

Old (Downunder) Tone

FileMgrs.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone