JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Covid: China rejects WHO plan for second phase of virus origin probe"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1024 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-57926368

China has rejected the next stage of a World Health Organization (WHO) plan to investigate the origins of the coronavirus pandemic.

The WHO wants to audit laboratories in the area where the virus was first identified. But Zeng Yixin, deputy health minister, said this showed "disrespect for common sense and arrogance toward science". WHO experts said it was very unlikely the virus escaped from a Chinese lab, but the theory has endured.

But earlier this month, WHO head Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus outlined the terms of the inquiry's next phase. This included looking at certain science research institutions. He has now called on China to be more co-operative about the early stages of the outbreak.

He urged Beijing to "be transparent, to be open and co-operate" with investigators and provide raw patient data that had not been shared during the first probe. Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Mr Zeng said he was extremely surprised by the WHO proposal because it focused on alleged violations of China's laboratory protocols. He said it was "impossible" for China to accept the terms, adding that the country had submitted its own origins-tracing recommendations.

The United States criticised China's position as "irresponsible" and "dangerous". White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said at a news conference that access was critical to help prevent the next pandemic. "This is about saving lives in the future and it's not a time to be stonewalling," Ms Psaki added.

What have they got to hide?

I know people regard the lab theory as mere conspiracy, but at the moment China seems to be quacking and walking like a duck.

Edited by EccentricM

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-57926368

What have they got to hide?

I know people regard the lab theory as mere conspiracy, but at the moment China seems to be quacking and walking like a duck.

In the beginning of pandemic, USA, China, and Russia were walking ducks. And they still are walking like ducks!

I think it’s possible it was an accidental leak, though I’m not sure how it would’ve happened. I really don’t see China allowing the investigation to happen; they weren’t truthful about the seriousness of COVID and how many deaths occurred (they claim only 4600 deaths since the start of this whole mess...yeah right). There’s a very, very important concept of Chinese culture regarding “face” (mianzi)- saving face to avoid shame or embarrassment, and you can make someone “lose face” if you show any disrespect or dishonor to them. So yeah, I don’t see them ever allowing an investigation into this.