JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

musical screen saver

Hello, my husband, is 83 years old and is deep into Dementia (and doesn't recognize me at all).  He is not a JW.    He is now paralyzed after having two strokes and spends most of his time in bed, or half sitting/laying on a long wheelchair in the tv room of a beautiful aged care facility almost next door to where I live.   The staff are lovely, and very caring about the patients.   They have suggested I try to locate a longish video showing scenic pictures with soft music as a background.   Luckily I remembered a 2013 screen saver on my computer called "By the Sea Ocean Music" which plays soft music along with waves breaking on the seashore, and has 240 scenes of beaches, trees, sunsets etc.   It also shows the 2013 yeartext across the top, so obviously this has been compiled by a brother or sister.

Does anyone know of any other screen savers in a similar vein that I can download onto a usb for him to watch or just lie there and listen to?    I cannot remember how I came to  download this particular Ocean Music screen saver.

I would appreciate any help, as I'm at a loss as how to locate this type of programme,    Thank you

Thanks Brother Greg,  but he doesn't have access to youtube so that's why I was hoping to find a musical screen saver with changing scenes.   He was at sea for most of his working life and water or sea scenes would be ideal, but I need to be able to download the music etc onto a usb then plug it into his tv to catch his attention.   I'm not sure if I could transfer youtube videos onto a usb.    And the 3 hour length is brilliant.      I've managed to download his favourite vocal artists onto a usb (through sheer fluke of course) and that just plugs straight into his CD player which is great, but it would be good to keep his mind a little occupied watching something.    Thanks again for your help, I'm sure something will turn up eventually.

• 1 month later...

There's a program on Netflix called Moving Art. It's a series of beautiful scenes around the world. There are many episodes of water, ocean, et.

Each episode is about an hour in length. There's no narrative, only soft playing music. I watch it a lot. Very soothing, calming. 

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Sister Sandra - I'll have a chat to the nursing home, and see if I can download the programme to his tv using my details.   My husband does sometimes focus on the tv which is placed on the wall in front of his bed, but who knows what exactly goes through his mind.   He rarely speaks, but does watch staff as they move around his room.   And these days each time I visit he's been asleep.   But I'll certainly give it a try in the next few days and let you know how it goes.   Thank you so much for your help.  

Hello Sister Sandra, on Wednesday, with the help of one of the nurses, we managed to add my husband to my Netflix account and have the "Moving Art" programme listed on his tv.  I'll be visiting him over the weekend, and will see how its going.   On Wednesday the staff had moved him into the dining/lounge area for the morning but his condition appears to have worsened, his eyes were open but not moving - its just awful to see him like that.    But, you never know, the music and movement might stimulate his brain.

Again, thanks again for help with this programme Sister Sandra , it may even be useful for other patients in the nursing home too.   

Hello Sheila,

I'm so glad that this might be of some comfort to your dear husband. I sincerely hope it works out for him.

I also have a husband in a nursing home. He will be 88 soon and we will have been married 66 years next month. 

He is virtually blind with macular degeneration, and bedridden, so he cannot enjoy much of anything that requires sight and being mobile. They have tv where he is but because he also has dementia he can't control the remote to use it. He's totally dependent on those who care for him. Now with the virus they are short staffed so I really don't know how good that is. 

It was the only place we could find for him at the time and very far away, an hour drive each way, and coupled with the virus, he doesn't receive many visitors; and they require a 24 hour notice for that.

I just learned that he has tested positive for Covid, and is quarantined, so no visitors at all anymore. He is vaccinated. So he spends his days and nights alone with strangers. I wish they could set up something like this program for him but I know that won't happen. I haven't even been able to contact the nurse since I learned of his condition, because they say they are so busy.

He is a brother, a MS and pioneered for many years. He's the father of six children, fourteen grandchildren and twenty plus greatgrandchildren.

Today I am going to call and contact the Activities Director there who has an iPhone, and see if he will let me talk to my husband using Facetime..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..